Bulk food websites that actually *save* you money?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paranoid, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

after factoring in shipping that is..

So, what bulk food websites do you actually buy food from? many of them have good prices, Bobs red mill has lentils 25lbs for $22, however shipping is another $25... i mean.. come on.

So, where do you actually buy your bulk foods from online? Is there one that is actually cheaper than just going down to the local store and paying retail prices?

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I buy from Azure Standard. The price break on shipping comes after $400, so several neighbors and I go in together on an order and just have it dropped off here because I have a driveway that will accomodate a truck. When it comes in, I call everyone and we rip into boxes and get it all sorted out. It's kind of like Christmas and always turns into a bit of a party.

Most companies have a dollar amount after which shipping is either free or a reduced price. Find out what that amount is, and see if any friends or neighbors are interested in going in on an order with you.

3. River Rest

River Rest Home-Insteader

You can also see if there's a co-op in your area. That's basically what Jen H has going with her neighbors.

4. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

I have yet to find an online store that is worth the food + shipping. Wal-Mart can usually do better. We buy bulk via a co-op in my area.

5. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

6. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

www.unitedbuyingclubs.com See if there is a group near you. I order once a month, pick it up at a woman's house a couple miles from me, no shipping, it's perfect.

7. ozarkcat

ozarkcat Well-Known Member

We're just getting started with:
    ozarkorganics.com
    which has a local pickup in our area, so no shipping. On the downside, since we're ordering through a local store for pickup, they add 10% on, but considering that I'm saving a good bit more than that for the amount that I'm getting, it works out.

8. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

We order through United also. Place the order via computer once a month, pick up the food 2 weeks later at a collective pick up site.
    Check with them to see if there's a co-op group near you.

9. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I order through a co-op. I get bulk organics really cheap that way. Many of the organics I get are cheaper than the non-organic counterparts at the supermarket. Other products are a bit higher, but average it out, cook from scratch, and an organic diet can be very affordable.

You can also get non-organic grains/flours/meals in bulk the same way even cheaper. If you are not organic, you can buy through a co-op for WAY cheaper than you would pay at the grocery store.

10. erika20

erika20 New Member

We order with Walton Feed and don't have to pay shipping because our church does a couple of very large group orders every year. It comes on a huge truck to the church building and we pick it up.