Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a bulk food store open in our town. I ran in to pick a couple things up for my mom & haven't had a chance to really check it out. It looked really nice though. Prices seemed very reasonable compared to local grocery stores. I hope it stays here. Do any of you have bulk food stores nearby? If so, what do they carry?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Wendy,
We have one and it is mostly spices, flours and those types of things. Lots of organics. There is also, much to my children's delight, a whole aisle of candy. :)
The prices tend to be tad bit higher, but I find the items are fresher and are organic or just better quality.
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Wendy said:
Do any of you have bulk food stores nearby? If so, what do they carry?
No, but I sure wish we did!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Wendy,
Have you ordered wheat from them? Theirs seem to be organic, which doesn't matter to me. I'm just trying to figure out if that is a good price since I want to learn how to grind my own. I was looking at the hard red wheat.
God Bless,
Michele

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
We had one in our town 35 years ago, when my kids were just babies. I loved that place and learned a whole lot from the owners, a young Japanese couple.

Later on we moved to a small town in the mountains, and several families would go together and buy in bulk, then we would divide it. It's amazing how small the cost is if you can buy 25 or 50 lbs. (and split it up).

I love organic--the taste is so much better, not to mention the nutrients.

Now I go to the nearest city and shop at Wild Oats, which has a great bulk foods section--or I order from Bob's Red Mill.
www.bobsredmill.com

It's a nice feeling to have these bulk foods stocked up--I'm really low right now.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't ordered wheat form them. I mainly get spices & baking things.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Got a Bulk Food Store just down the road.Plus we have what I call a Salvage Food Store.Then have Truck Farms that we're buying salvage Produce from.So we get all we need at a very cheap price.

big rockpile

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
MicheleMomof4 said:
Wendy,
We have one and it is mostly spices, flours and those types of things. Lots of organics. There is also, much to my children's delight, a whole aisle of candy. :)
The prices tend to be tad bit higher
Same here. Flours, spices, pastas, candy.
Slightly more expensive than a grocery store.

What baffles me is they don't sell BULK foods. Wheat is in little 5 pound bags. I did get them to order 50 lb. sacks of wheat for me but it took two tries and a lot of confusion before a successful transaction was made.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
glenn amolenaar said:
Hey Big Rockpile, Would you share the address and/or location of this bulk food outlet? Many Thanks Glenn
Ours is in Lead Mine just North of Buffalo.But a New one opened at the junction of 73 and 64 Highways.

big rockpile

1 - 13 of 13 Posts