Bulk Feed

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by craisbeck, Aug 20, 2005.

1. craisbeck

craisbeck "Simple Life"

I am looking for a recipe that I can have my feed store mix up to feed to my hogs. I am currently feeding 20% pig and sow from southern states but there getting me 6.00 per 50 lbs. Need to cheapen it up. I do feed my family's leftover vegies to the pigs, but do not have enough to only feed vegies.

Anyone have a good recipe (I am not stopping at a a bakery shop everyday either) for hog feed. I am thinking about 15% protein.

Thanks

2. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

Other than cost, is there any reason to go to the less protein formula? I would imagine the extra cost of the protein might make up for a fast weight gain, but maybe I'm off there.

Dan

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The percent of protein is controlled for various reasons. As you stated, cost probably is the dominant one. However, the cost is not only in the feed. Small pigs obvious eat less but they are very efficient at conversion. Therefore, small pigs can convert high protein into meat at a rate of 2.2 lbs of feed to 1 lb of gain so it is efficient to feed high protein. As the pigs age and grow the conversion rate drops and the consumption of feed increases. At market weight a hog may be consuming 3.5 lbs plus of feed for each lb of gain. The cost of protein in the feed is higher than the other ingredients so a drop in protein but still having gain saves on the feed expense. Commercial operations are trying to get the maximum return on labor and facilities so the longer the animals stay on the farm the more the overhead per animal increases thus lowering profit. Animals not getting enough protein can also have meat that is not as lean and firm. This can be a deduction from the animals value at the packing house. Sows retained for farrowing get big and want to eat a lot. These sows can be fed a lesser protein grain in higher volume and be maintained cheaper. Grinding a single ration of a fixed protein is not recommended by me. In so doing, you either waste protein(too high protein) or you penalize pig growth(too low protein). Grinding in bulk or buying bulk when you are feeding a couple of hogs is also not recommended. Once ground the feed will start losing food value. For a few home hogs I suggest you read the recent my reply on feeding hogs for cheap.

4. lshields

lshields Member

agmantoo,

I went back and read your suggestion in the previous thread about mixing the 3 ingredients. Last week I called the feed store and ask about a discount if bought in bulk and I mentioned that I was only raising a couple of hogs. He sells 14% for $4.80/50lbs. Anyway, he said that the bulk feed would spoil and that it would be best to just buy a couple hundred pounds at a time if only feeding a couple of hogs. But with your suggestion, if I bought the corn in bulk, would it prevent the spoiling if it wasn't ground up? I was thinking of putting it in 3-4 drums and storing them in a basement until needed.

5. craisbeck

craisbeck "Simple Life"

How many pounds per day should I be feeding. The bag says to free choice the feed, however if I do this the pigs will never eat any of the vegitables that I put out for them. Right now I am giving a gallon of the 20% plus 2 gallon's of vegies (Not sure what weight anything is).

Do you have a recipe for a soy/corn mix? I am thinking that I can purchase this by the ton, and mix it myself. This should allow me to adjust the protein as the pig grows.

Also anyone have any idea of the feed vaule of vegies?

6. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

craisbeck,
    Blue Diamond makes a hog concentrate that you can mix strait to your corn & adjust the mixture to control the protien levels, so you can mix for different ages or as they grow,
    It runs about $10.00 a bag & i buy my corn bulk & then grind & mix as needed. The only thing you have to watch for is the concentrate will only stay good for about 6 to 8 weeks before it begins degrading.
    As far as storing corn in drums until needed, that is the same as what the feed store does only there bins hold thousands of bushels each.
    Blue diamond is also accepted by the top high quality producers such as Nyman ranch.
    Just do a google for it & it will take you right to there site.
    good luck
    Rick

7. frog1437

frog1437 Well-Known Member

Anyone know anything about a premix protein? Sounds about the same as the concentrate...

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

9. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

I googled this and couldn't find it (lots of diamond dealers and apparently everyone loves using blue diamond). Can you post the link? Thanks!

Dan

10. frog1437

frog1437 Well-Known Member

Thanks agmantoo, Looks like to me there are alot of sources high in protein I was not aware of...great INFO

11. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

If you want to keep down your cost of feed consider pasturing them and look into sources of free feeds. We pasture our pigs and they have gotten most to all of their food from the fields and thrived on pasture. More recently we started getting free excess milk from a local dairy. It is hard to believe but it is free. We can also get free cheese which the pigs love.

When changing them over from one diet to another, ease them into the new feed.