bulk feed bin

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by unixguy, Dec 27, 2004.

1. unixguy

unixguy Member

Good afternoon;

Would you all just tell me if I'm crazy? We have a 80 bushel self-feeder for hogs that we bought with our homestead. I want to convert this into a general purpose grain bin so that I can do the following:

1: load a wheelbarrow from underneath the feeder,

2: load the empty bin onto a trailer or my pickup to bring to the grain elevator,

3: use my backhoe to lift the newly-filled bin back onto the stand.

seems to me that building this has got to be cheaper than continuing to
    buy feed in 50lb sacks.

Has anyone else done anything like this? Can I indeed use this as a base to feed our goats, llamas, chickens, turkeys, hogs, and maybe a couple of steer- ( with
    appropiate supplements ).

Thanks-

Unixguy

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

if its anything like the hog feeder we have would not last long! a gravity box on a wagon would make more sense . build a good roof or put in a building. these are heavy and you would need to pull with a tractor. 80 bushel of corn is over 2 ton and far too much weight in a pickup! bulk as opposed to bagged is the way to go if you can limit spoilage and acsess .

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Without a major frame built around the bin I doubt it would survive such handling. Can your hoe lift that much!? My old 580ck wouldn't, it tops out around 2000 pounds on the FEL, and I'd be risking the front axle on rough ground. Most places will deliver 2 tons so your bin might be useable as a hopper bin if you rig it to be filled with the blower set up on the delivery trucks. It's a universal system.