Bulbs on Sale

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by fernando, Jun 6, 2005.

1. fernando

fernando Well-Known Member

I went to Walmart today and found all their bulbs, roots, etc. on sale for $1.00 per package. Things like iris, lilies, dahlias, peonies, hosta and more. I can't pass up a bargain and the bulbs felt firm and not dried out, so I bought some. Now what? I live in Zone 6 (Kentucky). Is it too late to put them in the ground. Or should I pot them temporarily till fall. Or should I put them as is in the root cellar until fall. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

$1.00 a package what a bargain!

For the peonies I would get some peat moss and dampen it a bit and put in box and those peony roots in there quickly and stick in a root cellar til fall. When planting peony roots, 3 inches deep, touching NO manure. Work the manure in deep and then the rootstock should only touch good soil around it. Peonies are pretty I have a good stand of established ones about 30 feet long the previous owner planted I'm waiting til fall this year to divide them up. For you, the growing season will just be tooooo short they would be doomed to fail.

The hosta won't be as sensitive and isn't as hard to grow as those peonies. Good rich soil in a good spot right now I think it'll be fine. Hostas are common and hardy but I would still mulch heavily before dead winter sets in.

I don't know about the rest of them. Good luck.