Built my wife a cold frame

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by woodsrunner, Nov 17, 2006.

1. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

I had some furring strips and some small pieces of exterior plywood kicking around. DW found a 8' piece of clear vinyl used to cover upholstery in her sewing room. So, I built a cover for one of our 2'x6' raised beds.

[​IMG]

I did this figuring we'd get an early start in the spring.
    Then somebody gave her some lettuce seeds.
    So she dumped in compost and scattered the seeds.
    I figured if we were lucky they wouldn't sprout until march and they'd be the first crop in the garden. Well, they came up quick and have surived several hard frosts. Now, I'm going to have to give her my stash of old burlap bags to make a thermal blanket.

Cross your fingers for us. I hope to be digging salad out of a snow bank to go with christmas dinner. I would have never thought it possible here on the border of zones 4&5

[​IMG]

2. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Very nice!

I'm thinking of doing something similar with a bunch of extra strawbales and some discarded windows.

3. AbbeyLehman

AbbeyLehman I shoulda brought HUR!

Can I make a cold frame of sorts with PVC pipe & plastic drop cloths? I'm in zone 8b (Tallahassee) and don't need much protection, just from the coldest nights and the wind....Thanks!

Abbey

4. 3ravens

3ravens on furlough-downsized Supporter

Abbey,
    That should work fine for wind/mild chill. Use something to anchor the edges of the plastic so the wind doesn't get under and deposit it in a tree for ya..... :p I'd be more worried about it getting too hot in the daytime in 8b. Maybe make the sides permanent for wind protection and the top removable so you can take it off during the warm times. :shrug: