Building your own Live-trap

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Xandras_Zoo, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Anyone have any suggestions? We live in the middle of the city and some nasty 'coons are raiding the pond. Havaharts cost like... $100. Too much

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

3. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

You can also check with your local animal control people. Quite often they will have livetraps you can borrow, although they will require a deposit on it.

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Someone posted somewhere one time the most in genus things to use to catch them ive ever heard of.Or atleast its the cheapest. :D
    A piece of metal stove pipe with wire over one end.Just stand it up on a step angle and tose in a half open can of sardines.Id prop it up tight between say two piece of log,so it would stay put and he could just step in.It works because once they go in for the bait they can not get traction to back out. :haha:
    Of course you either need a way to close up the other end once cought or a cage to put them in for transport or whatever.Or if you wasnt in the city just shoot threw the side of the pipe,before removal. :D

Please over look my spelling my spell check program (i spell) will not work with FireFox . :waa:

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Aw ..... Coons and cities there is a nice combination. :D

You can trap them quite easy but know some things in advance. They generally don't like to go in a trap like that rabbit trap which has wooden closed sides. Wire mesh is better over a wooden frame. Be prepared to catch your share of cats. I must have caught this one particularly memory challenged kitty a 100 times. Can get your share of squirrels and skunks too.

Peanut butter and crackers works nice.

Understand in advance what you will do with it? Will the city come and get it?

Many probably will not, they would get nothing else done. Boston will not relieve you of the prisoner, probably same for most cities. If fact it is illegal to take it off your property and can't shoot it on the property. Can catch it on the back of 4710 square feet, I guess carry him around to the front and let him go. Teach that bugger a lesson. :haha:

One way of snuffing them is to leave them out in warm sun. They do not do heat well. Then you have the problem of disposal which also may be illegal if you try to put it in the garage or even bury it.

Also know when caught they can go ballastic, try to dig and crap all over the place. Put the trap on pavement or a piece of plywood.

I probably have caught several hundred over the years. Used to take them for a ride (to an undisclosed location, none were harmed). Had a bunch of junk and carpet I would throw over them. If stopped by the cops, you will get a ticket and fine if you don't have all the paperwork to be a Pro Trapper. You should also figure out in advance how to let them go, if that is the plan of attack. The young males sometimes will try to attack and come after you big time.

With all the coons in cities, I fail to understand why those guys with the hounds chase all over the countryside trying to find one. Over hill and dale, thru green running briars and listening for the sounds of running water so you can refill the carbide lamps. Sheesh, put those hounds in the back of truck and go cruising in the nearest place with a population >100,000 while drinking fine coffee latte and see if you can spot the coon before the dogs do. :haha: Don't have to find them one at a time, they are in flocks. Some places don't even have to wait for dark. Some of them slick city coons are a real trip, might even try to jump in the truck and mug the dogs. :eek:

O, Yes.... Be ready to figure out what to do when you catch your first skunk. :rolleyes:

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

7. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

If you only have a couple to catch....

I've used a box and moustrap combination to catch them before. Prop a box up with a stick, the same way as kids do with a string, but place the end of the stick on the wire snapper of a mouse trap, close to the pivot point. Screw another stick to the trigger of the mouse trap to extend the trigger so it is under the box. Wrap a bit of food in a piece of old stocking and tie it to the end of the stick.

Carefully set the mouse trap, place the stick on the trigger and the box on the stick.

It's not pretty but it works. Coon grabs food, sets off the mousetrap. Mousetrap flips and knocks the stick out from under the box. Amoung other things I caught a weasel in my kitchen this way. For real.

Everyone has a box and a mousetrap.

Pete

8. What to do with it after you catch it? Snuff 'em, then throw'em out in the street and call it "Road Kill".

Or,

Learn to eat'em and tan their hides.

9. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Yes but what to do with a PO'd city coon in a cardboard box. Let's get ready to rumble!!!! :no:

Got to really worry about rabies when being around coons. Even a small scratch can be a big deal. My dog got punched by a neighbor dog in the chest with a paw while playing. Broke the skin and became infected. Dumb grits doc claimed she had been bitten by something probably a coon. Might have lost her if I could not have proven she had up to date shots. She was in house arrest for weeks. Those docs will report you to the government. Treatment for rabies for humans is not good thing to endure.

You want plenty of something between you and a coon, hopefully a little more sturdy than cardboard.

10. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Build a box out of a sheet of plywood -- 2X2 four foot long. For a coon, use 3/4" inch cdx -- I've had dogs go thru half inch, I'd assume a coon would too. I'd use screws, not nails, to assemble everything. Build a track out of two strips of 2X3's at the front for a sliding door. Build a frame at the other end to hang a pulley from. Cut a hole in the far end about the size of your fist.

For the trip, whittle a "lip" on a piece of 1X1 wood that's about 16-17" long. Run a bit of string from the 1X1 piece of wood to the pully that should be directly above the hole, then to another pulley you've hung above the trap for the door, then to the door. Idea is, you put a pan of food in the box trap, the coon bumps the trip stick eating the food (it should be several inches above the food), door drops, voila, caught coon. Total material cost should be around $25, and the box will work on stray dogs, too.

Err, for a coon, I may want to weight the door with a few bricks or something wired to it. Coons have fingers and they're STRONG.

Leva

11. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

After the weekend campers left, the 55 gal trash containers would be full of all sorts of interesting foods. The coons would figure out how to get in the cans, but unless there was enough trash to enable it to climb up and out, the beastie would be stuck. The garbage collectors would face a totally irritated racoon to release before they could emptythe can. Now the cans are covered with heavy lids.

So--maybe you could use a 55 gal drum placed where the coon can climb in after that opened can of sardines. Of course, if it works, then you have an irrated, frightened animal with teeth in there.

12. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Exactly, that is the most important part to remember.

Those City / Urban / Camp Follower /Non-Country coons know how to rumble and will attack, most have scars from gang fights. You figure out what diseases it may have before tangling with it. :p

Not only are they quick, but carry switchblades in the paws.