Building with Landscape Timbers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jhannibalak, Dec 29, 2003.

1. jhannibalak

jhannibalak Member

At one time I seen an article in BWH magazine about someone that used Landscape Timbers to build a cabin. I am interested in anyone that has used such or known anyone that has used these little logs for building. They remind me of the old toys "Lincoln Logs" but nobody is using them...WHY???

JOHN

2. Browsercat

Browsercat Well-Known Member

Probably because most of the lumber is treated, either with creosote or with CCA (the arsenic-containing stuff in the older variety of treated lumber). I seem to recall that most of the logs were also short.

3. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I have seen them used for building small cabins at quite a few camp grounds. They look real nice. You might find a few pics of them at some of the KOA camp ground websites on the net.

4. sdrew

sdrew Well-Known Member

Because,... they're a waste of money essentially. They are treated with CCA (chromium, copper, arsenic) , but they are only "dip" treated, not Pressure treated. When pressure treating, the CCA penetrates the wood, therefore preserving it. The dip treating only gives it the green color of the pressure treated. These dip treated will last no longer outside than a totally non-treated landscape timer (called peeler-cores).

5. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

And... in my experience with them as Landscape borders... 'treated' or not.. they warp. Bet that cabin won't last long!!!

6. I seen a cabin built out of Landscape Timbers in a Backwoods Home magazine too. I think it was one of the early ones. You might check with http://www.backwoodshomemagazine.com

7. jhannibalak

jhannibalak Member

I have also posted on the Backwoods Site. But nobody has responded to that posting. I think I have seen some of these. As far as twisting I think you could use Pole Barn spikes to put it together.

8. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I think it would be very expensive unless you building a playhouse. non treated 8" fence post would probably be a better deal.

mikell

9. I have worked at a racing stable that has a barn built with timbers. These were creosote treated, I think the system used is much like logs (staggered), but with the timbers drilled and rods driven down. The outside is sheathed with metal, roof is ashphalt. Cracks filled with mono. No insulation... It is very solid, quiet, cool in the summer. Shannon