building walk-in freezers ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by rasby, Aug 15, 2005.

1. rasby

rasby Member

Hi

This is my first post here.

I am looking for info on how to build a walk in freezer. (electric maybe solar back up).

We operate a Christian drug and alcohol rehab farm in Renfrew Ontario Canada. We have as a result become homesteaders as we raise our own food (beef,pigs and chickens). We have outgrown our 4 chest freezers and need to expand to a larger single unit.

Any help out there would be very much appreciated

thanks

rasby

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Many people look for a "reefer" unit (think refrigeration not "weed") off of a flat bed truck as they are insulated. Good starting point.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Since your is such a cold part of the world I would think 'ice house' instead of freezer, mainly for cost purposes.

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

No answer,but welcome new person!

BooBoo

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I have always been intersted in the idea of an Ice house, I think they need sustained subfreezing temps though mitch and don't the ice houses vary quite a bit?

6. rasby

rasby Member

Thanks for the advice about reefers. I have a friend in the trucking business who will look into that area. But they are mostly diesel operated. Ice houses are not practical from a serious labour intensive perspective. I am hoping to build something along the lines of what a small butcher might use, electric. Maybe seriously insulate it for energy efficiency.

Thanks for the friendly welcomes

rasby

7. rasby

rasby Member

One more thing, for 4 months of the year our temperatures range from 70-95degrees. Don't bring your skis here in August. We built 95% this country within 100 miles from the US border for a reason.

Hope you are enjoying your summer

rasby

8. How big of a walk-in freezer do you need? I've noticed that if you have time and keep your eye on the papers every once in a while you can buy one cheap. Mostly from restuarants going out of business and selling everything. A local Hardee's went out of business close by and someone bought the building to make a real estate office in it. They auctioned everything off and the walk-in 10 X 15 unit sold for only $350. I don't think you could build one for that cheap.

9. rasby

rasby Member

Thats a good idea r.h.

I was thinking something similar. A hybrid might result as well.

rasby

10. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

hi and welcome !depending on where you are in renfrew we,re an hour south of you! there are many places in the area(ottawa)that sell and service units like the one you are looking for as well as some near toronto. you can get pre made panels that form the container. watch for three phase as converting the units is expensive!

11. rasby

rasby Member

hi neighbour ford major!!

We're( the farm) New Connections Ministries on Castleford Road, between the 17 and the Ottawa River. I live in Perth, so I am already 1 hour and change south. Do you know any such companies by name around Ottawa?
    We probably don't need anymore than a 10x12 room.

rasby

12. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

guess it depends on how fast ya drive how far you are from something!! :D sent ya a pm with some info . one of my old school teachers lives up near beachburg,keep meaning to head up and visit,beutiful country up there!

13. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

We have a walkin at work. Probably 10x12 or maybe a little bigger. I'll check today to see who manafacturers it. I'm guessing they use quite a bit of electricity in the summer (you have lots of Hydro though, right?).

Come about December, you could open the doors and let mother nature keep the stuff cold. Late winter make up some huge blocks of ice outside and roll them into the freezer. Might help?

14. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

A restaurant auction is a great place to get a large freezer, I've seen many and I'm in Ontario as well. The ones I've seen are made of what appear to be SIPs (structural insulated panels) - and appear to be quite easy to dis-assemble. I've seen them sold both as a completely operation unit - and some disassembled where I believe the refridgeration unit was sold seperate from the actual freezer.

cheers,

15. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

You might want to check with a local trucking co. they some times donate used reefers to charities ,and there are electic back up units avalible nearly all trucking co.'s that have reefers will have a few , There for O S and D storage till the product can go to a food bank. You might get one from a co. so they can get a tax break.

16. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

if your going to buy one, and I do think that is best, you will want one that has the foam insulation in the walls, 6" is best 4" will do, it will need to be sealed not leaky, or you will have much problems with effecency, a good door and gasket, a door heater, (freezers will freeze the door shut), if you do buy used try to find out the history of the compressor unit (repairs and such), also how cold it will pull and run at,
    YOU will need a insulated floor, if the unit you get does not have one you will want to put it on a slab that has insulation under it,

if you can buy a good used from a trusted dealer or refergeration man, (having refergeration repairs made are expensive) and the repair parts are expensive, and in many instaces a AC guy will not touch a walk in, (some times that is good). but if you buy from a trusted dealer and he checks it out and starts it , you may get a warnety as well, and then some one who you know and trust to repair the unit,

I bought a used unit from a guy, he did an exelent job in making the box correct, and when he found out the evaporator was bad and would soon cause problems we replaced it, yes it as about $700, for the new part, but he
    he did me right and I got a good unit for about $2000,
    had checked into new and that was pushing in the $10000 range,

17. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Put a wanted ad in the Isell ( http://www.isell.ca/ )magazine and you'll get a reply. There are lots in the Ottawa area, If you have to buy anything new make it a compressor, most of this stuff is available for the hauling or nearly free.