building timeline

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, Sep 20, 2005.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

my 5 year plan incudes getting a little house built for myself. about as far as i've gotten is deciding what kind of house i'd like to have. plan is to pull out this double wide, and built on this site, as the well and septic are already here.

however, considering the economy, ever rising material costs due to our resources being diverted to iraq and new orleans (can't wait to see the rise in lumber along with gas prices too :rolleyes: ) and current low interest rates, i'm wondering if i shouldn't push it a little closer to the top of my list. as afar as my timing goes, i've got several other projects going that would be a big help to have completed before i start on a project of this size.

what do y'all think?? should i build now? or wait until i see how things settle out.

as always, any and all help appreciated. :bow: :bow: :bow:

2. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    I'd wait until at least next spring. Its a bit late in the season to start building now and until the situation in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast is more settled, the lumber and building supply business will be a mad house. With luck, by next spring or early summer, things will be on the roll and prices will have settled down. Now I do have one suggestion. If you have storage space, it might be a good idea to buy what you can if its at a good price and store it until you need it. Watch the sales and pick up what you can. That way if the prices go even higher, youve saved a bit. Id do this for things like windows and doors. If you know what sizes you will need, you could buy a window a month or a bunch on sale and save big time. :)

3. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

Did you see the posts on CF by Sancraft? She bought a 16 x 20 storage shed and is fixing it up into a small full-time cabin that she could add on to.

I like little houses and there is another great site: http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

The guy's name is Jay Schafer. He has some awesome little designs and I bet he'd be happy for you to buy some plans or something from him. I was thinking of buying one of his homes and he offered to come out and build it on site with local materials and help. They are so beautiful, I bet it would be like living in a really nice wooden yacht!

Beaux

4. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

5. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

We're hoping to start building next spring. I'm like you and hoping prices don't skyrocket and push our budget out of whack.

6. marvella

thanks for the links y'all! however, i've pretty much decided on the design. it's the economy i'm worrying about.

FM- yes, i'd about have to wait for spring, as the plan also includes finding a little travel trailer to live in while the house is being built. cannot go live somewhere and leave all these animals. but do you think this spring is better than say, two years from now? or when we get a real fiscal conservative in the white house??

7. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

There will be no fiscal conservatives in the White House anytime soon. You can not tell about the future even though it is pretty certain that the near future is going to be very expensive for building materials. If at all possible, more likely sooner will be better.

8. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Wait till Spring. Let this settle out. Interest rate will likely not move much. Govt has to keep them down. Its the only thing propping up the economy. Get out of debt as much as you can and save your money till March then start looking at lumber. Of course this all rest on the hope that no other major crap happens. I would look around for a sawmill this winter. They can be slow and get your framing lumber from them. Sitck it and let it dry.

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............I wouldn't plan on building a house for atleast two years or longer . There is going to be a tremendous demand for plywood , dimension lumber , 2x4's , 2x6's , etc . , insulation and all the other basic parts for home construction due to Katrina , and Rita :eek: and who knows how many other mean swirling b____h's to hit the gulf coast . If , you start buying materials now you'll be paying a premium , although prices may just keep rising over time and I maybe full of Hockey . I would wait atleast a year to see how the economy is doing . It's a gamble No matter ! fordy.. :shrug:

10. marvella

okay then. if i aim to build by spring, i'd best get started now. i'd like to pay down some debt first, that was the reason for waiting. there's a sawmill near my home, but wouldn't that involve paying for lumber NOW, then letting it cure??

i'm still open to other opinions, if ya got 'em!

11. marvella

12. marvella

gosh, this drops off the first page fast!!

hoping for other opinions?? anyone??

13. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    I dont look to see lumber prices go down any time soon if at all. Face it folks we will never see 4.00 OSB again and the 1.00 2x4 is as much an antique notion as button shoes. Id buy what I can now and store it. Particularly things like doors and windows which are always big ticket items. If you see anything thats remotely a bargain, grab it while you can.

14. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

All things are relative. That said, you are building a small house. The total cost difference isn't going to be that great. If you were building 4000sf then we might be talking about some serious money.

I would think you could start a house just about year round in Tennessee. My guess is only rain is a factor in the early stages.

You say you have decided on design. Does that mean you've already bought engineered plans? If not, have you toyed with commercial construction methods on your residence - steel and block? Couple of reasons to consider - less expensive and less labor intensive. As a do-it-yourself builder, wages aren't a factor however there is always the cost of time. This type of construction goes together very fast and very energy efficient. You can't tell the difference from the outside and once your drywall is up, you can't tell from the inside either. Block is still a very inexpensive way to build - and strong. Hurricane or not, it still beats the heck out of stick built.

If you are set on stick building, I would say if you want to start in the spring, do so. Lumber costs, like oil, tend to never come back to their starting point once they take a big jump. Frankly, I'd like to see some zoning changes in areas that get major hurricanes. More steel and more cement construction that can withstand winds of 150mph like they were nothing more than a stiff breeze. But then that's a soapbox we won't pull out right now.

My sentiments are don't put your life on hold for what you THINK MIGHT happen with FUTURE pricing. I think you'll find, in the end, the cost difference was minimal compared to the enjoyment you get from your homestead.

As a final aside, hurricane or no, manufacturers are still going to update to this/next year's models and deals will always be found. Look for deals - they'll always be out there - closeouts, inventory reductions, and don't forget the great "underground market" found in the local classified ads of never used/gently used building products offered by your neighbor down the street or the next town over.

15. marvella

thanks all!! good ideas, keep 'em coming!