Building Materials?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RedTartan, Jul 21, 2006.

1. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

What are some things you all have used to build shelters for your farm animals?

I don't have access to any scrap lumber and it is horribly expensive to buy. Last time I was at Lowe's I asked if they had a rejected lumber pile and they were completely out!

Any ideas? I'm specifically wanting to build a small goat shed...

:) RedTartan

2. RockyRooster

RockyRooster Well-Known Member

One way to find scrap lumber is find any houses being torn down. I have thought of this many times. As a matter of fact am thinking of going down the street tomorrow to see if I can this guys cinderblocks that he threw in a trash pile. He is completely remodeling his home. Just take a drive around this weekend and see what you can find.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

My local utility company sells used telephone poles for 35 cents a foot. They are a little harder to handle but you can get a 35 ft pole for about the same price of a 10 ft treated post at Lowes. Also look around for old rundown buildings. Sometimes the owners would be more than happy to give you the materials if youll be willing to tear them down. Occasionally you can find small sawmills that will sell rough cut lumber also. I used to have a source for rough cut cypress until the old guy retired

4. RedTartan

Oh. My. Gosh.

I am the dumbest person in the whole world. They were tearing down a house ACROSS THE STREET from me last week and it never even occurred to me to check. It had burned in a fire.

I'm new out here. I guess it shows, huh?

:( RedTartan

5. rannie

rannie Well-Known Member

psss pallets..... I used pallets to build a chicken coop it came out really nice we also used pallets to build a picket fence around the garden area. sometimes the nails are hard to pull out and sometimes easy I guess it depends on the time of day and the mood . I found some one selling used tin for a $1. a sheet for the roofing we also used trees (cedar) for posts for a porch looks real rustic. we also drive around you would be surprised what people are throwing away. have any friends in construction, they always are throwing away something. good luck !

6. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

We have been using it like a lumber yard for 6 months:

[​IMG]
    After we took a whole load of 2 x 6 x 16 ceiling Pine out, then I cut out logs for an addition.

[​IMG]
    Skidded them back the mile to our place for the addition.

[​IMG]
    This was it BEFORE we got started on it.

[​IMG]
    And these are the two sheds they gave us and we put together for a shop, the doors are from their old garage.

etc. . . .

Good luck,

Alex

7. RedTartan

Wow, Alex, way to reuse! Inspiring...

:) RedTartan

P.S. My second son is called Alex. :)

8. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Nice going, Alex.

Redtartan, ditto on the pallets. If you are near a good size town, look for pool-spa shops and lawn and garden implement stores for crates used to ship merchandise. Oh, and ATV shops, too.

Margo

9. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

Our local sawmills sell "Cull packs" Not quite good enough to sell as dimension, but $100 buys many, many board feet of good lumber. Get out the yellow pages and call around!

10. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

Any farms in your area? Farmers are notorious for having good scrap wood/metal piles.

hint: bring a fresh baked apple pie when ya go asking. :D

11. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

Me and the wife have a 1300 sq ft house we are trying to give away to be torn down and removed. Has some really good stuff in it the roof and most of the rafters were put in ten years ago. I would like to take it down but the wife has already layed down the law. So if some one wants it and lives close enough PM me. It has vynal siding on two sides and wood siding on the other two. A new commode, good water heater bath tub lots of good stuff.

12. sashay

sashay Well-Known Member

Check out the motorcycle shops...yep the motorcycle shops. They used to ship those bikes in TEAK...yes TEAK and mahogany crates. I hauled them home, took them apart and sold them to woodworkers.

Looking for houses being torn down is a great idea, but do not neglect NEW developments too...they throw away the most amazing stuff...and when you find boxes of italian tile, even if it is not your taste...SAVE THEM for barter later on. Check out the building foreman and ask permission and they will help you load stuff into your truck (at least they helped me)...but you can get room size remnants of good quality carpet, building material, light fixtures, etc etc etc.

Check out office buildings, if you are near a town of any size, at the end of the month...they throw away amazing stuff when they are moving out of an office space.

Just some ideas that have worked for me...hope this helps

samantha

13. diehard47

diehard47 Well-Known Member

Lowes will have large pallets and crates that they are more than happy to get rid of.

14. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We salvaged as much of the "trash" as we could when our house was being built two years ago and we're no where close to using it up yet. We used pallets, 2x4s and scrap plywood to build the chicken coop. I definitely agree you should check out new housing developments. It's unreal what they throw away. We pulled an entire pallet of bricks out of the "trash" our builder was going to haul off...and several packs of shingles that hadn't been opened!

15. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

Got animals? What are you doing with all the feed bags? I am refilling them with sand I have a lot of sand and dirt. Then I stack the bags and form a wall which becomes a earth shelter. It is thick so it should help when winter come. That winter I sorta did this for the waterfowl. I built a horseshoe five foot wall to slow down the wind but I did not add or build up for a roof this was to give them a choice of being outside or in the pen.

Last winter most of the time the waterfowl stayed outdoor by choice up near the walled area. I had to force the birds in doors when the temp would be 30 to40 below. The birds might not be smart enought to go in on their own but once in even with a way out the did stay in on the bitter days.

Since that worked last winter and since there is no Lottery here I am doing it on a larger scale. I can not make them too large because I am putting "roofs" on them. Snow can get very deep so they are tall say six foot high by six foot wide and they grow longer at each feeding

They are like tunnel as they so narrow. It will give them space and yet also save body heat.

16. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

1/2" OSB sells for around $7/sheet down here. Check the paint stores for culls (wrong color, etc.) and see if you can get it cheap ($2-3/gal).

Couple that with some used poles as mentioned earlier in this thread, and some used tin for a roof (you can patch the holes with melted wheel weights, or silicon) on 1x4 random (very cheap).

Maybe not better than other types of construction, but cheap & fast....and that's good enough for me...

17. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

for my goat shed we go to building center,hardwarestores, feed stores, and warehouses and ask for thier skids or pallets, they are perfectly build square panels which work well for studs and are easy to stuff with straw or insulation, then i know this sounds weird, but we also go to the dump where they drop unused construction matierials or junk from torn down houses there we pick up wood siding or aluminum panels from old mobile homes, this is great for covering the outside. hope i have been of some help. :)

18. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

19. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Alex,
    Just when I think we should quit on our dream, you always show up and inspire me ...... Thanks!
    Mark & Debbie

20. texican

texican Well-Known Member

pallets are the easiest to find and use, with the module thingie going on... I hit my local bandsaw mill on a regular basis. I do business with him quite often and I'm able to bring home trailer loads of odd sized slabs and usable boards with flitches slabby edges or ends... but if the board is ten feet long and all I need is 5' lengths anyway...!!!

I take down old barns in my spare time... old tin, even with holes is good for windbreaks on chicken pens and whatnot... old barnwood is the best... I salvage trees and get em cut on halves, so my only cost for premium lumber, is the cost of diesel getting it to the mill and back...