Building Inspectors

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CODIACRCMP, May 18, 2005.

1. CODIACRCMP

CODIACRCMP Well-Known Member

If you have signs that say "private property" or "no trespassing" and maybe a gate, can a building inspector still come on your land to investigate?

I know that a police officer arn't allowed unless its a emergency.

Thanks
    Danny

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

From what I know, in the US tax assessors/appraisers and building inspectors have way more leeway about coming onto private property than the police. In Canada-I haven't a clue.

3. stonefly71

stonefly71 Well-Known Member

Most places a cop can come on your land pretty easily. And I'd think a B I could also all most of them need is a suspicion or something along that line. Here in the US most cops only have to probable cause to do so and your signs mean nothing to them. As either one could have gotten a call from a neighbor who heard something or one who might not like you for some reason. Just my 2 cents on it as we had trouble once here in Ohio. Later Matt

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

In the USA things are worked out so all suuch folks - cops, govt inspectors, game wardens, etc. can enter your property any time they 'need' to. If prevented from entering, you are assumed to be guilty of whatever they are looking for & you will be charged accordingly, and also with obstructing them. The actual wording of each law is some different & all, but the net effect is what I'm saying.

--->Paul

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

municipal employees ,meter readers,conservation authoritys and police with probable cause,. they don't have to go in ,just fly over then hand you the papers to go to court. all to save fifty bucks!

6. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Knowing Canada, they probably can. Ask some official I am sure they will tell you.

7. CODIACRCMP

CODIACRCMP Well-Known Member

I called the rcmp and asked.... they told me I could sue the rcmp/planning commission if they did. The only person with access is fire department (if there was a fire) and police (only in a emergency) unless with probale cause and with the **** I stirred up before, they'll have to have a sound case before they will.

They said if the building inspectors wanted to come "see" they have my phone numbers, place of employment and and thing else the government records.

Oh ya, NB Power is allowed only on their easment and not on anything else since I don't have power.

Danny