Building an outside oven

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Country boy, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Country boy

Country boy Guest

Have losts of brick and would like to build an outside oven that works kinda like a wood stove. Anyone know of plans or have ideas how to build one? Thanks.

2. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Do a search for "beehive oven" and you will find both pictures and plans to build.

3. Thanks explorer, I have been looking for one so I can get started on it while things are caught up around the house. Will give this one a good lok over.

4. I want to build one too- only in the basement, and hooked up to the flue.WhatI have in mind is a chamber beneath the oven deck with a regularwood stove in it, with the stove pipe going to the flue.I haven't seen any plans for this type, most of them are for the type of oven that is fired right in the oven, then the ash raked out

5. bulldinkie

bulldinkie Well-Known Member

When youre done come build me one. I had one we can see where it stood on our 1700 farmhouse.good luck.I have a book with instructions and a picture in it.If you cant find Ill send you copies.

6. earthship

earthship Well-Known Member

7. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Your bricks will work great for the outside of the oven, but as far as I know firebricks must be used for the inside. They are able to withstand the heat.
    I also have a load of bricks I want to use for an outside kitchen, sure would be handy in the summer.

8. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

9. outside ovens are great if you live in a hot climate- but I'm thinking of building it in my basement so it can supplement the heat for the house.All that mass of brick should hold the heat for hours.
    Butdue to the fact it will be in the house and hooked up to the flue- I have to come up with a design to accomodate that.All I have thought about so faris to build the brick oven with a heat chamber beneath the oven deck, with a regularwood stove in it.Ifanybody has any ideas, orexperiancewith that, please post it

10. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

My wife & kids played around with small solar ovens, made from cardboard boxes, they worked fair.

I've been looking for someway to build a brick oven, on an outside wall, with a couple of mirrors or reflective mylar to bring the light into the bottom of a thick metal plate mounted in the bottom of the oven. Was thinking about using solar light pipes to direct the light from one end to the other. An idea... might work, might not - just have to try it when I get my big focusing collector finished.

Bill