Building a house step by step

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Randy Dandy, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

Does anyone have info or a link that could tell a person detailed steps to take to build a new construction house. For example first clear site, then perk soil for septic, then run electric, then water, ect...I'm looking for the proper steps to take in consideration, and not so much details of each step, as that would vary a great deal with each indavidual. Any help for either would be great. Thanks, Randy

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Check with your local building codes office, they'll give you a checklist of what you need to do and what needs to be inspected and when. You actually should get one when you get the building permit.

When you get the land perked they'll give you a septic permit...for a small fee. Before you can get temp power you'll need to get the building permit, fee dependent on size of the house. Water, if you're going city water, can be gotten at any time without a permit...again for a much larger fee.

3. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually you need to know wehre your septic is going to be and the well site basically first. In my county the well must be at least 150' away from the septic. No sense is clearing a bulding site then finding out the water well will be 500 ft from the house and nothing perks at the cleared site for a septic. House site really depends on water and septic location unless you want to spend a tone of $$ trenching water and septic lines to your chosen house site. My county guy perked 4 different sites that I had picked out for house and I chose the one with the best well site closest to the house site.

4. Randy Dandy

Thank you very much for your help. I'm sorry I wasnt more specific. The house site has been located, and the land has been perked. The wife and I was considering the idea of building a steel framed house. I wanted to do most of the work myself, and make sure that I have my priorities in the correct order. I think the next step is to make a temp. driveway ?? There is no buiding codes outside the city limits in our county. Our counties deer population is much higher than the humans :haha: We are also having trouble finding a site where a person can go to ask questions about building a steel framed house. Thanks again, and anymore further info would be great. Thanks, Randy

5. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I think it was a back issue of COUNTRYSIDE that had an article about some folks that built a steel framed house (with metal on the outside too) and were living in it, had it fixed up like a conventional house inside. Does anyone remember what issue that was in????

6. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Look in the library or book store for Ken Kern's Owner Built Home. Its a classic. I don't know if will answer all your questions.

7. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    While you are at the Library look for some books by Charles or Chuck Wing. He wrote a number of excellent owner build books. Also you might enjoy a book by Tracy Kidder called House. Its a sort of diary about the design and building of his house. an excellent winter read.

8. Randy Dandy

Thank you all very much. This may take me some time with the long hours I work but it sound like a great start. Thanks, Randy