Building a Bridge-----Kinda

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Fire-Man, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Need some idea's on how to get to my back property---across water. I have a few acres of dry land on the other side of my lake/swamp but no way to get there---without driving several miles around---then crossing two other people's property-----other then building some kind of walkway/bridge. This water is probably 200yrds across in the least wide place, maybe 300yrds in the place I would like to cross at---part open water---the rest flooded woods------thanks to the beavers. I really just want to WALK across it----so some kind of foot bridge. I thought of using barrels to float a 3ft walkway across the open water then use barrels and/or driven post in the shallow area's(ankle deep to 3ft). This sounds like alot of work, but I want access to my back acreage. I can use the boat to cross the open water I guess would be the best then I probably would have to build a walk way less than 100yrds. Any Idea's better than this-----Don't have Wads of Cash to put into this, but I have some tree's and a saw mill. Only a few cypress tree's and a few white oaks(lot of pine, sweet gum etc). I can get some telephone poles, but if I used them---They would have to be sawed where they could be handled by hand. Thanks for your Idea's!! Randy

2. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

How about a cable/ pulley system where you could pull a raft across. like in the old days

3. Mallow

Mallow Well-Known Member

Hmm I was gonna suggest a small cable swinging foot bridge till i re-read that it was 200 yrds.

4. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Used air boat? :) What a toy that would be, eh?

5. YoungOne

YoungOne Well-Known Member

What about an used amphibious gator?

6. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

yeah, a home made raft too!

7. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

Have you considered the "possibility" of getting rid of the beaver(s)? That might actually be your cheapest solution in the long term. :cool: :rolleyes:

8. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Copperkid has the best solution.THe Beavers must go. Jay

9. tallpaul

tallpaul Well-Known Member

Yup my thought was get rid of tha beaver dam AND the beavers...

10. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

TRAPS! Beavers DIE! (PETA protesters line your property!) :)

11. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Film at 11. :)

Seriously, though, beavers aren't protected, are they?

Do you WANT the water there? Does it serve any useful purpose?

I'm told that beaver fur makes a fine coat...

Pony!

12. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Sounds like the dredded "wetland" area. Make sure you either have permits and engineering studies (mega-dollars), or do it VERY quietly, without telling others about it. Wetlands are regulated both by state and federal levels in many places, and if you mess up, it could cost you dearly.
    Best of luck.
    I can't even replace a culvert pipe washed out in the flood without engineering studies, etc. Guess what! My whole property could wash downstream before I'm putting money into it since the state's road run-off was responsible.
    You gotta do what you gotta do. Be careful.
    Ann

13. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If the beavers are gotten rid of, won't another pair just migrate in? How say you folks who live in beaver territory?

14. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Build a road accross. Start three feet higher then the surface of the water and back up the dump trucks with clean fill. Every time one dumps, push the fill into the water. Every hundred feet or so, place a large culvet under the fill. You will need to go at least wide enough to safetly operate whatever machine you use to place the fill. Personally, I would go wide enough to back the trucks right to the edge.

Pete

15. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

If you get rid of the beavers; don't advertise it. SSS. Jay

16. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I love having several acre's of beaver-made lake. Its been dammed for 10+ years-so the fishing is good most of the time, but it did cut off access to my back land. Even before the beavers it was a swampy area, but I could cross the run of the swamp and walk through a soggy area and get to the back. The way this is-----the front section where it is open water is in one dam---the back section is a newer dam and has alot of tree's and downed tree's---to thick for the cable Idea. I like the cable Idea for the front section, but I can use a boat there. I have not seen my back land in several years. My GF and I are sitting here talking-------thinking a Argo might be the best way to go. I really want to get to this back property to hunt it-----so If I built a foot bridge and got a deer---or carrying corn to the back side----It will be tough crossing the foot bridge. Anyone got a Argo? How do you like it? I was thinking if I went with a Argo--I could build a ramp up and over the beaver dam, to not tear it down or get hung on it----Might have to cut down a few tree's to get the path wide enough to get the Argo through. What you think?? Thanks!! Randy

17. kenuchelover

kenuchelover Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need to cut some of the flooded timber, to make a path allowing you to take a boat in ALL the way. The only problem is going to be cutting underwater..... unless you've demolitions experience, I'd suggest cutting off trunks right above water level with a chainsaw & using a cordless drill to drill holes in the top of the stump, then fill the holes with potassium nitrate (it's sold to get rid of stumps, rots them out within a year or less.... likely within a few months under these wet conditions). Other option involves cutting off trees just above waterlevel with chainsaw, then going back & cutting as close to groundlevel as you can manage using a regular bowsaw or crosscut saw.

Better yet, can you simply chart a winding path THROUGH the trees (widest gaps between standing timber) allowing a boat, and mark it with flags to allow you to follow it easily each time? Or line it on each side with rope, & just follow the outlined path? This would be cheapest, even if you end up having to chop a FEW trees. Otherwise, it sounds like you're looking at many thousands of dollars & untold manhours of labor to build a road or walkway.

Even at a "mere" hundred yards, a walkway would involve several thousand board feet of lumber.... you COULD use rough cut lumber off the sawmill, but just imagine how many hours of standing in the water with a hammer you're looking at just to make a rickety bridge (WORSE if you have to sink pilings instead of mostly using standing timber for supports).

18. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Put on a pair of chest wadders, and walk over there. If that scares you wear an innertube around your chest. Might even do a little fishing on the way.

19. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

floating raft & trolling motor. Raft can be made with styrofoam underlayment like they used to use on the lakes many years ago.

20. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

excavate a canal and just boat over.