Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
23,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If for some reason, society as we know it would cease to exist and you were in charge of starting everything fresh, which social institutions would you begin with? Why would this institution be the most important? How would you set it up? What would its main goal be? Here it is, your change to create a perfect world- have at it!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
1) Church...with just the bible for what they teach from. With the goal after getting people saved would be to create a moral foundation that was expected from all.
2) Community work projects...such as the 1st Saturday of the month everyone turns out to help with projects around town or help someone who has a need. Throw in a barbeque or something after too. Dr.'s could offer free services that day too.
3) Something just for the teens to get together with lots of adult involvement but let the teens kind of run things the adults just supervise and veto bad ideas.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sustainable Culture Center.

As creating a religious center assumes everyone is the same religion, or wants religion at all, I would create a non-faith based center of community that would attempt to make decisions for long term sustainability and growth of the human race. Working upon rules that figured in best practices for the people, plus that of which allowing people their own privacy and security, it would set forth rules and programs to promote working with the land while allowing technology to progress in sustainable fashions. Especially prominent would be energy policies and new travel methods.

This would be important to set forth rules and laws promoting harmony with all cultures while allowing maximum personal freedom. Ideally there would be one of these in each town with a central one governing a small set of encompassing rules (like no slavery, murder, etc.), allowing each town to govern itself further only if it wished to be so. Democratic vote would be the order of the day (not a republic) and would be set in place through computer voting. Trust me, as a programmer, computer voting is an obtainable goal, just not when OUR government attempts to do it and hires the lowest bidder :p

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Hmm Id have to send you a copy of "the colony " chronicals of a porter.
that is if I ever finish writing them .
I would go with a democratic republic .
Keep in mind if your designing the entire world you dont have to contend with border wars or dealing with other countries. So you can focus solely on issues concerning your people rather than international affairs .

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I don't think I could do it. Oh I could fix parts of the problem like overhauling education, but after that people are people and there will always be the industrious and the lazy.

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
One word, "family".

Family for work, family for education, family for support... continue the list ad infinitum.

Deut 6:4-9

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
whatever shows up in Louis Lamour books. I like his world

·
Banned
1,627 Posts
Church and school for everyone til they are 18, basicly the same bill of rights, no laws other than the ten commandments. people who break them would be delt with severly, no plea bargining, you either did the crime or you didn't. example, you either killed someone or you didn;t, no such thing as 1st,2nd degree ect..Families would be responcible for their old folks, Very small government, everyone would know the rules and live by them.there would be no taxes like school and land. everyone would pay a flat tax of 600,per yr. no income tax returns.people that serve 2 yrs in the military are exempt from ever paying taxes, but they receive no pay while serving, they'll be soldering like i did when i was in, there was no 8 hr days and i had no time to run around in a car all night. and we wouldn;t be all over the world, we would be here just to protect our country. Municipals with central water and sewer would get their money from the people that use it. Schools would get their money from the people that go there, no unions would be breaking the system with their high demands. Drs and hospitals would get paid on a flat rate, not for how many lexis they have to pay for. to many things to list.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
I don't know what I'd set up first, but I can tell you that there would be no such thing as lobbyists and political funding allowed.

And, taking a page from the Douglas Adams school of thought, anyone who actually WANTED to run as a political leader would be immediately disqualified.

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
2,104 Posts
I'll have to say....I fear that I neither want to or would be able to run a society. So I guess if I was left in charge....well.....it wouldn't be real pretty. :)

·
Premium Member
42,693 Posts
I think I would set up a similar government to what the founding fathers did. The differences would amount to smaller communities having the most say over their members whays and rules, probably with county governments having the power, and the federal government in place very similar to what is actually in our constitution minus the 16th amendment of course and install some very severe penalties for any elected official who would dare to pass any unconstitutional law, or for having the supreme court make any decision contrary to what the constitution actually says. There would have to be very careful clarification of a couple commonly misinterpreted phrases such as the "general welfare" clause, separation of church and state, (which does not exist nor should it) and that whole argued thing about the second amendment. The citizens would not only have the right but the duty to keep, own, maintain and bear arms with NO restrictions whatever on type, size and kind. Counties would have to have no more than 50,000 population, when they grow beyond that they would be required to subdivide. Each county would have one person in charge like the state governor, they would also be the only one allowed to vote for federal elected positions. Similar to the electoral college, but each and every county gets to elect their governor, and each and every county has one vote for federal positions, senators, congressmen and pres. This keeps the power in the hands of the people. That otter cover it pretty well. We would all then be able to control our own destinies, live out our lives to the fullest capacity without undue government interference. :)

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
No more "teenagers"....an extended period of dependency, imo. In the past this age group didn't sit home playing video games or spend their time texting and shopping. They were productive members of society, often married and busy getting on with life. Heavens, some young people can get to 30 yrs old without having a "real" job-- spending thousands on an education that doesn't even get them a good job when they graduate. I work with older folks and they can multiply 3 figuresx3 figures in their heads with their 6th grade educations. Most young people I know can't even figure out correct change or percents or how much that car is really costing them. I'd like to see more apprenticeship-type positions. I'd like to see universal service, either military or to your country. I've known several people who were in Vista and one Peace Corp volunteer and it was truely life-changing and changed their entire life focus. DEE

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Well, for a perfect world,I would have to go back to the beginning.Yep,me and God. Ah,God,put that rib operation on hold a while and come with me.Ok God,is that the right tree that we are not to eat from? Yes says God. Alright God hand me that stick when I get up the tree. God hands me the stick and I beat that snake to death and throw him on the ground. Now God, do you think we could get them two mice you created to live in this tree as their home. God says yes I can do that, so He calls them mice and tells them to live in that tree. I say OK God, now do that rib removal thing. God says ok, but please tell me why the mice in the tree. Well God,that wonderful wife you gave me in my first life made me as happy as I could be and I know this go round you will do the same and chances are this new wife will be just as scared of mice as BO PEEP was and she ain't going nowhere close to that tree and we all will live happy ever after, younguns an all.:D lol Eddie

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
If society as we know it ceased to exist, it would have happened because we as humans had changed. No one person ever has had absolute rule over another person. Not really, not at the soul level, and only this one rule would initially govern any new world. You take responsibility for and create your own reality. In my new world, I'll choose to be less physical yet more energy, having less physical need and having the full scope of being able to take care of all my own needs. There would be no need for systems in my world.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
QUOTE=EDDIE BUCK;3472088]Well, for a perfect world,I would have to go back to the beginning.Yep,me and God. Ah,God,put that rib operation on hold a while and come with me.Ok God,is that the right tree that we are not to eat from? Yes says God. Alright God hand me that stick when I get up the tree. God hands me the stick and I beat that snake to death and throw him on the ground. Now God, do you think we could get them two mice you created to live in this tree as their home. God says yes I can do that, so He calls them mice and tells them to live in that tree. I say OK God, now do that rib removal thing. God says ok, but please tell me why the mice in the tree. Well God,that wonderful wife you gave me in my first life made me as happy as I could be and I know this go round you will do the same and chances are this new wife will be just as scared of mice as BO PEEP was and she ain't going nowhere close to that tree and we all will live happy ever after, younguns an all.:D lol Eddie[/QUOTE]

:rotfl:

Now that's funny

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Considering all the wars death and murder caused by religion, The whole my Gods better than yours mind set . I figure Id avoid having any form of religion introduced by man and leave that to God himself .
with luck he'd take a more hands on approach like he did in the old testament .

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I'd divide each state into quarters: NE, NW, SE, & SW. Then I'd divide the people by beliefs and let them run their quarter their way. If you don't approve of conservative Protestants or liberal Uniterians, just stay out of their quarter.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I'd divide each state into quarters: NE, NW, SE, & SW. Then I'd divide the people by beliefs and let them run their quarter their way. If you don't approve of conservative Protestants or liberal Uniterians, just stay out of their quarter.
Ahh but then they would be going to war because one had better farm ground or one put bean sprouts in their salad .
The pro business folks would be dumping raw sewage and pollution in the river running through the greenies section.
the red heads would be battling the blondes for stealing their mates .
after all the grass is always greener on the other side .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts