Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I was looking up info on building our own wind generator the other day, and was surprised to see several sets of plans/e-books being offered for sale. Has anyone tried any of these, and what kind of experience did you have with them? Thanks!
Cathi

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Hi all,
I was looking up info on building our own wind generator the other day, and was surprised to see several sets of plans/e-books being offered for sale. Has anyone tried any of these, and what kind of experience did you have with them? Thanks!
Cathi
You can glean about as much info for free online as from many of the books .
there are formulas and directions for carving blades, as well as formulas for winding cools free for the reading , rather than spend a lot on the books you might also go to your library and have them do a library share(not the right words Im sure but basically libraries can find the book for you to check out even If they dont have it in stock)
there are also a number of online forums such as Otherpower.com .
the generators themselves arent to hard to make you can start with an Amtek PM motor (the higher voltage and lower rpm the better) put blades on it and have a working generator the real fun starts getting charge controllers,voltage dumps, and batteries .

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hi,
I agree with Don -- there is a lot of good free data on building turbines out there.
My site has a big wind section with lots of DIY info:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Wind/wind.htm

www.otherpower.com is DIY wind central.

The one thing I would buy is the new book by the two Dans at otherpower.com
Its very good, and if you want to do a wind turbine that will actually generate some useful power its kind of a must read (I think).

I think that most of the ebooks that have sprung up are scams.

Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts