Bugs in my Buttercup Squash Blooms

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kitaye, Jul 11, 2006.

1. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

I was doing my daily check of the garden this morning and found several black and yellow striped beetles inside the bloom itself, and a couple more sittting on the leaves. I killed them all and did some research. Found they are cucumber beetles http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/Graphics/cucurbins/cucbeetle.htm

Now I need ideas on how to get rid of them without using noxious chemicals. I'm trying to garden as organically as possible and so far have simply killed ever known pest as I see them but there are ALOT of these beetles in the garden. Ideas greatly appreciated - chickens and ducks not an option at this time.

2. ladyrua

ladyrua Well-Known Member

I had the exact same problem and solved it with this solution in a spray bottle that I sprayed twice in one week right after watering:
    1 teaspoon dish detergant
    1/2 cup vinegar
    2-3 cups water (just finish filling the bottle)

no more beetles, and beautiful squash!

3. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Thanks. Do I spray it on the blooms and leaves or leaves only?

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Spray it on the cucumber beetles, the dish soap affects the waxy coating on the beetles.

5. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Will it effect the leaves and blooms if I spray it on them? I sprayed the whole plant and the beetles.

6. ladyrua

ladyrua Well-Known Member

Shouldn't hurt it - I sprayed it all over cause it works pretty well on aphids as well (they were on my tomatos).

Best of luck!

7. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Ack! Icky, evil, vile, nasty cucumber beetles!!! WE HATES THEM, PRECIOUSSssssssssss!!!

Um. Sorry about that.

I have been having a good year by putting DE on the underside of the leaves. Very helpful. If you want to cut down on the dust issue (ALWAYS WEAR A MASK WHEN USING DIATOMACEOUS EARTH), mix some DE in a spray bottle with water, and spray it on the plants.

You may also have some success by mixing a tablespoon of REGULAR dish soap (NOT antibacterial) in a gallon of water, and spraying that on the leaves, top and underside. It keeps the little blighters from landing and getting a toe-hold to do their nasty work.

You may also wind up with bacterial wilt, in which case you'll need to spray with a baking soda solution.

Good luck. If it makes you feel any better, it can be fun to kill them when they're mating -- and they mate a lot. :(

Pony!