Bugs in feed question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tltater, Aug 28, 2005.

1. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

I just emptied a brand new bag of Blue Seal Caprine Challenge into my storage container. As I was watching it settle in, it kept moving. So I took a small amount in a container and looked in the sunlight. Low and behold there were tiny black bugs in it. I didn't feed any to the goats. Do I need to return this or would it be ok for them to eat the bugs? Sounds kinda stupid but I am sure they eat bugs when they eat forage so wasn't sure if I needed to worry or not.

Thanks!
    Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

2. redcedarfarm

redcedarfarm Active Member

I would most definately take is back. It would not be good for them to eat those bugs. The feed could be molded or anything. Good Luck,Dawn

3. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

If it's buggy its bad feed. I would return it for a fresh bag. Let them know when you got yours they may want to check the other bags that came in that shipment. I am sure they will want to replace the other bags also so no other customers will end up with bad feed.

4. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Yikes I hate those bugs...once worked at a pet store and something came in a shipment with bugs in it....they got into everything before anyone noticed..customers returned so many things that these critters infested.

5. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Take it back quick. They could infest your whole feed area!

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Take it back, why should you pay for feed that is no longer good. We have had bugs like that in feed that was once left out in the rain, ooops. They sure are nasty.