Bugs Eating Eggplant

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by SweetSarah, May 28, 2006.

1. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

We just planted some eggplant a week ago and the leaves are already full of holes from some pesky insects. I'm relatively new to this whole gardening thing and would like to know if any of you have tips on how to fix this problem.
    Thanks!
    ~Sarah

2. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    I think they are flea beetles Sarah.I use Sevin.Someone else will have to help with the organic treatment.

3. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

Thanks Backwoods. Can I find it at a hardware store?

4. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Organic..If it's just leaf damage, I choose to do nothing. What's a few holes in leaves. If you can keep the plants alive, it will not affect the fruit, unless you are running a showcase garden and holes in leaves are important to you, like when I used to garden for wealthy people. Just my thought. Deb :cool:

5. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    Yes Sarah.Liquid or powder.Most any garden store will have it.They can also advise you on other problems you may run into.Good luck.

6. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

in cool weather when the eggplant are slow growing they will eat them down to a stem nub overnight . they are a pest of tobbaco and tomatoes too but not to the degree they swarm eggplant . the plants out grow these pest in warm weather but when conditions ar right they dont have a chance the remay covers help some and also raise the growing temp a few degrees too , seven rotenone or any of several organic or non organic pesticides will do the trick , realy have to have my eggplant

7. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

If your going to use sevin use the 10% you can get it at walmart. The five just lets the bugs have flavoring on whatever they are eating!

8. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Those :grump: bugs ate my eggplant down to nothing last year and I have just discovered them on my potatoes this year.

I was searching through the old HT posts and saw that someone recommended neem oil. Have any of you tried it? Or should I just give up and bury the garden in sevin?

/VM