Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rich's "More Than One Bug Out Bag" made me decide to post this, and I didn't want to horn in on his post.

About two weeks ago, I had a bug out trial run, though at the time I thought it was the real thing! We had several huge brush fires in my area. I didn't even know about it. I work at home in the house and saw nothing out the windows, and there was absolutely NOTHING on any of the news channels or radio about them. My neighbor's son works for the volunteer fire department, and she called and told me. She was panicked and said it was less than a mile away and headed directly toward us with 30 mph winds behind it! I called the fire department, and they confirmed that yes I was right in the middle of four fires raging at the moment, but they didn't think I needed to bug out, thought they'd get them under control shortly. Well, I figured better safe than sorry, right?

So, I have just recently bought a vehicle after not having one for more than a year, and I hadn't prepped it yet...I know, I know, stupid! But I've been working a lot and have been sick and just let it slide. I grabbed my BOB, a five-gallon bottle of water and a box of food by the door, a couple of extra blankets, an extra set of clothes, my hiking boots, an extra coat, gloves and hat, flashlight and small tool kit (all I have at the moment), and a plastic shoebox I keep my medicines in. I was working with a bad leg infection and moving slow, but all in all I got loaded and out of here in 8 minutes, which I guess is pretty good considering I was totally not prepared! However...after seeing how fast brush fires move out here I know if it really had been that serious I would now be a crispy critter.

The good news is, well depending on how you look at it, lol...my neighbor panicked for no reason! I should have listened to the fire department I guess. But fire is my biggest phobia (seen too many burn patients at the hospitals I've worked in) and it worried me that there was nothing on any of the news channels even though it ended up burning thousands of acres and destroying several homes and businesses! It did show up on the 10 p.m. news, big whoop, lot of good that did the people who actually DID live in the fire zone! I have to say she wasn't the only one who panicked though, my neighbors down the hill were loading up their horses when I left to get them out of the danger zone.

So my question now is...how do I prepare for something like this in the future?? I still haven't found a news channel or radio station that gives warnings around here. When I went outside I couldn't see smoke, but could smell it and see small ashes floating around. I live just below the peak of a large hill, and on the other side is a small valley and then another hill, and on the other side of that hill was where the biggest fire was. At this rate, a fire could be at my back door before I know about it! These fires happen on a pretty regular basis out here, my son and daughter-in-law had one come right up to the very edge of their property last year, they finally got it out right at their fence line. It burned over 10,000 acres, and again there was nothing on the news until 10 p.m. The fire happened in the middle of the day while they were gone to work.

I'm sort of freaking out here, lol. Suggestions anyone? Either about warning systems or better bug out plans, what else to keep in my truck, etc. I'm open to all suggestions, thanks!

Oh yeah, there's also only one road out of here (I live on a dead-end) unless I go cross county and knock out fences. I do have a four-wheel drive truck (bought just for that purpose, lol), but how do I know when it's bad enough that it's okay to damage someone else's property? It has a tow package on the back and big steel hooks on the front for pulling I guess. Sorry this is so long!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Get a scanner from walmart or radio shack and they will give you frequencies of your local fire, police and weather.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The big question I have about people that "Bug Out", is where they go? On to someone's private property? Or public land? Because truth be known, if anyone decides to trespass on my land, they'll be facing my shotgun.

·
Wasza polska matka
6,912 Posts
in the op's situation, anywhere out of danger. even a walmart parking lot beats being burned to death. You can camp for free in national forest land, and in a pinch you could live in your car until the danger is passed. If it was a permanent bug out situation, where you could never go back, you probably wouldnt be there either.
I would only bug out for a fire similar...I am prepped to stay bugged in, and help out family members that might need it

·
Registered
197 Posts
With all due respect Rean, in a situation where the only choice is to relocate or perish, I think I would rather chance the shotgun and "Bug Out". However there are plenty of alternatives to tresspassing on your land. Public land, campgrounds, relatives, and religious organizations are all good considerations in case "Bugging In" is not an option. How many times in recent months have we heard the same old story of people forced to evacuate their homes un expectedly. Whether it was a wildfire in California or catastrophic flooding in Iowa we are constantly reminded that we should all have a back-up plan. Good job Callie, your experience is a great reminder to us all to have our poop in a group when minutes are all you may have. Glad the fire missed you, Paul.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
I have a couple of suggestions. One, keep as many of your BO supplies together as you possibly can, in one container for a Grab And Go effort. If there are a couple of things that you can't have in the container, then write a list and tape it to the top of the continer to remind you to grab those things on the way out. If possible, try for an over ride prescription for just such a situation and keep a couple of weeks of duplicate medications in your kit. Call your Md to request the Rx now, while it is still fresh in everyone's mind.

Secondly, contact your local fire department, sherrif's office, or whoever would be most in-the-know and tell them that due to some health problems you are having, that you would like to be put on their list for early notification if there is the chance of an evacuation. If they ask why, tell them that you have limited mobility and need extra time.

Regarding bugging out through or to other people's properties, I have concerns. While I certainly would not want anyone to perish in order to maintain the sanctity of my fences, they had darned well better plan on coming back after the crisis is over and helping to pay for materials and provide the necessary labor to restore those fences to good order. It's not my responsibility to bear the burden of them not thinking well ahead and making proper plans. (Like offering to purchase and install an emergency gate that can be well secured but opened in an emergency.)

Regarding bugging out, that's why I support the American Red Cross. They set up shelters where people can go who don't have friends or family in the area that can take them in temporarily. We get lots of flooding around here and the ARC joke is that they provide "three hots and a cot" for the duration (3 hot meals and a bed). It's not much, but it is there and they are experienced and very good at providing this service. If someone traveling through has the decency to ask me whether they can stop on my land for the night, as long as they will leave it in the same shape when they leave, I would probably welcome most--especially those with families. Anyone just inviting themselves might have to explain themselves to the county sherrif as he rousts them on their way. I could do the job myself, but if a hired gun is available, paid with my tax money, then I say let them do the job.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Get a scanner from walmart or radio shack and they will give you frequencies of your local fire, police and weather.
Depending on where you live that scanner may cost your $500 to hear the local police and fire. With many systems going trunking and digital, the usability of the little cheap scanenrs are going away pretty fast.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Although I don't agree with everything in this article there are still some very valid points that apply to this topic thread....and a couple of recent ones..

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Of course Bugging Out is a priority when you are in danger. However I don't think people think far enough ahead that they may be in a bigger danger when they get to their destination. IMO it is totally wrong to invade someone's private property.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Secondly, contact your local fire department, sherrif's office, or whoever would be most in-the-know and tell them that due to some health problems you are having, that you would like to be put on their list for early notification if there is the chance of an evacuation. If they ask why, tell them that you have limited mobility and need extra time.

(Like offering to purchase and install an emergency gate that can be well secured but opened in an emergency.)
These are both excellent suggestions! I didn't know I could do that with the authorities. This is the first time I've lived rurally, I learn 20 new things every day, lol. Secondly, the emergency gate is a wonderful idea! I know the neighbors just over the crest of the hill (the last one on this road) go out down the other side through their personal property. I'd certainly be willing to do that if it gave me another out in a SHTF situation like that. I'll definitely talk to them about it.

Rean, I certainly understand your concerns, but maybe you misunderstood me. I would only go across someone else's property to get out if there was no other way and of course would expect to come back and make restitution for any damage I might have done! To do otherwise would be unthinkable. As far as where I would go if my property were destroyed, well I certainly wouldn't just squat willy nilly on someone's land, good grief! If worse came to worst I could live in my truck for a little while (lived in a Camaro for a month once, the truck would seem luxurious, lol), but I also have a son and daughter-in-law with plenty of room and friends who would certainly take me in if necessary.

My question was, if a fire is HERE and is down the road ahead of me, how do I know I can make it out? If I take time to go down the road (which is extremely steep and rocky and can't be negotiated at more than 10-15 miles an hour without breaking your neck) and then see that I'm blocked in, I might not have enough time to get back up to the top of the hill and THEN go through someone else's property to get out without the fire getting there ahead of me. Are you honestly saying you'd rather I just sit here and burn to death rather than knock down a small section of your fence to save my life??? I'm sure glad you're not MY neighbor!

Thanks for the other suggestions everyone, I'm making a list, lol. Keep them coming please! :)

P.S. Fire is the one and only reason I'd bug out instead of in. I'm well prepared to withstand any other catastrophe right where I am, since there's no chance of flooding. Again, to clarify the above, I'd only be TEMPORARILY on someone else's land (for the 2-3 minutes it would take me to just drive through and get to safety) and would only do it if it was the ONLY means of escaping death.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I think everyone is actually asking them selves all the correct questions.
Why bug out?
When to Bug Out?
Where to Bug out to?
How to Bug out?
What to Bug out in?
What to Bug out with?
How long to Bug out?

Bugging in, same questions.
What do you have ready?

Trial runs pretty intresting, especially after a week or so.
This was a test we (DW and I ) ran last spring.
(I had posted it here, but couldn't find it, so);

http://www.shtfmilitia.com/viewtopic.php?t=1308

and
http://www.shtfmilitia.com/viewtopic.php?t=1320

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
I live in timber land (like what you saw on AxMen, that was like 20 miles from me). We are 2 miles up a gravel road--one way out. BUT there are old access roads that are still overgrown roughed in, we have at least three other routes out, but 4wd is absolute, as well as wire cutters and a chain saw because people have fenced across the old roads. We keep and eye and nose out during fire season. Dunno about you all, but around here if there is a fire coming there is no hesitation about cutting fences to get out if the road is blocked. And I've discussed this with neighbors(so it's not just me). Of course folks would help repair fences. But around here, it's really mean to be stingy with your fences when a forest fire is chasing people.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rich's "More Than One Bug Out Bag" made me decide to post this, and I didn't want to horn in on his post.

I grabbed my BOB, a five-gallon bottle of water and a box of food by the door, a couple of extra blankets, an extra set of clothes, my hiking boots, an extra coat, gloves and hat, flashlight and small tool kit (all I have at the moment), and a plastic shoebox I keep my medicines in.
I'd recommend that you have your hard to replace documents (birth cert, passport etc) and 'important' documents (prescription scripts, insurance policies etc) in a single easy to grab case. Life is hard without the paperwork - and fire is pretty tough on paper!

Cheers, Liam

G

·
Of course Bugging Out is a priority when you are in danger. However I don't think people think far enough ahead that they may be in a bigger danger when they get to their destination. IMO it is totally wrong to invade someone's private property.
So I guess if you saw panicked people fleeing from a wildfire across your property (because it was the only open route), you'd pick them off like flies?

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
You bet....
um , dont' move to my neck of the woods then, cuz the "flies" will shoot back! cuz around here, people that anal that they will shoot at people getting out of the way of a fire are growing something they shouldn't--course there being a fire everyone is gonna get happy real soon(just giving you a hard time).

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well, my reply was to what I consider a stupid question. Of course I would not shoot at people fleeing danger. I would however use my gun to deter squatters. People that "bug out" to private property, not through private property are squatters, plain and simple.

um , dont' move to my neck of the woods then, cuz the "flies" will shoot back! cuz around here, people that anal that they will shoot at people getting out of the way of a fire are growing something they shouldn't--course there being a fire everyone is gonna get happy real soon(just giving you a hard time).

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Guess I wouldn't move to your next of the woods, seems like a lot of trigger happy people.
(Just kidding).

I guess I find that crossing someone property in times of flood, fire, hard times in general, etc, wouldn't be a concern, as most people are more than willing to help you.

That's not saying that I'm not prepared if necessary..............................

·
Banned
1,627 Posts
it's to bad you couldn't get another hundred thousand thousand around your area to bug out at the same time to get a real feel of the road with bumper to bumper traffic, people out of gas, cars broke down,out of water,hungry,some sick,cold or hot and looking for medical help. some real crazy after the 3rd day and ready to shoot anyone.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
it's to bad you couldn't get another hundred thousand thousand around your area to bug out at the same time to get a real feel of the road with bumper to bumper traffic, people out of gas, cars broke down,out of water,hungry,some sick,cold or hot and looking for medical help. some real crazy after the 3rd day and ready to shoot anyone.
I hear you, your point is well taken.
Thankfully that hasn't happened here and I hope it never does.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts