Bug id help?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by caryatid, Jun 21, 2005.

1. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

When I went out to water this morning, I found these bugs EVERYWHERE!
    They seemed to avoid my plants (not much there to eat yet), but were covering the weeds. Thousands of them!!

Can anyone help me ID them? Are they a threat? I tried to look them up online, but can't seem to find them.

-About an inch long
    -Long and rather thin, but the back ("butt") is thicker than the head
    -greyish/white with black/grey spots (leopard printed, almost)
    -Appears to be wingless

Thanks!
    Dana

Oh...forgot to add, I'm in the prarie of New Mexico (not the desert).

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I'm thinking a photo would help so much...I can't think of anything that isn't wingless that is about an inch long that isn't a caterpiller.

3. caryatid

I"ll see if I can get a clear digital photo of it. Last time I tried to take a picture of a bug it was all fuzzy. (The photo, not the bug :) )

:)

I wasn't sure if this was a common bug I just hadn't seen around here, or if I"d need a photo. I've never seen a lepord printed bug before!

4. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

Take the bugs to your local Extension office for identification, in New Mexico, you can find the office here:

http://cahe.nmsu.edu/county/

5. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Could be blister beetle from the description but they have wings although they prefer to just drop down when they think they are going to be caught. If they are blister beetles beware because I understand they will give you a burn. I have never had that experience. I always use gloves when killing them.

6. caryatid

Hmm...did a google search for images, and it doesn't seem to be blister beetles. The younger ones are green, but the bigger ones are black/white leopard print. (I can think of no other way to describe it)

I took pictures, and am waiting on my hubby to get the pictures off the digital camera for me. *rolls eyes*

And Baronsmom, thanks for the advice. I hadn't even thought of that! Unfortunately, the nearest office is about 45 min away. My curiousity does have limits. *chuckle* I'll harass my neighbors about it, see if they know what they are.

We didn't have them here last year (at least not that I noticed). But then again, things are a lot greener this year due to lots of early rain.

Thanks for you help guys!

7. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

I'd at least give your office a call...they may ask you to mail your critters. And, they'd probably like to know if there is an outbreak of some sort in the area so they can help others who call or stop in.

Local folks mail insects into our Extension office all the time. Just make sure you put the insects in a container that can't get crushed. Nothing like opening an envelope full of legs, crunched, dried body parts...little tough to identify :rolleyes:

8. caryatid

:haha: