Buford and Betty question

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by spinnDrSandy, Oct 23, 2004.

1. spinnDrSandy

spinnDrSandy Active Member

Thanks for all the help on how much to feed my new Jersey calves.

We let them out to run for the first time this morning and Buford, 2 week old bull, ran and jumped like crazy. Betty, 4 week old heifer, seemed real docile and wobby. I noticed some fresh manure which was runny and dark greenish. I know that calves will have loose stools for a while. My question is when do I get excited about the runny stools indicating scours?

On the advice of my vet, I gave them 8-way shots as well as a pneumonia and muse-e shots. I thought that I would take Betty's temperature a little later to see if she has picked up traveling pneumonia since we brought them in only 2 days ago. What is the normal temperature for calves?

Someone suggested Kopectate for the runny stools. HOw much should I give her. She had a touch of runny stools when we picked her up but the guy we bought her from said that it was because she had eaten some fresh grass.
    He said that he had given her a little terimicine in her milk. Should I try that?

Boy, for a farm girl, I really have a lot to learn. Thanks for any help.

2. AR Transplant

AR Transplant Well-Known Member

Hey congratulations on your calves. I bet they are really cute.

I don't have any advice on the scours, I am a newbie when it comes to calves.
    I do have a question about your bull calf? Are you keeping him for breeding?
    The only reason I asked was because I have heard that jersey bulls are very very mean. Just last month I heard that my mentor here ( the one I bought my jersey cow from) was roughed up by a 9 month old jersey bull calf. She had some bruising, and the calf became hamburger the next day.

I don't mean to rain on your parade in any way, shape, or form, I just want you to be safe.

Blessings to you

Arkansas Transplant

3. spinnDrSandy

spinnDrSandy Active Member