Buffalo Meat-where to buy??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Snowdancer, May 27, 2005.

1. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this belongs on the homesteading questions board or the cattle boards,so I'll just ask in both places. ;)

Does anyone know of a producer, market or farm that sells processed buffalo meat within 100 miles of Paragould,AR?

That would include the Memphis TN & Little Rock areas if my map reading skills are correct. I don't know about the areas west or north of Paragould

A friend has dangerously high cholesterol and his doctor recommended he switch to buffalo if he wanted red meat.

Opps, I forgot to add that he has found online sites that will ship but is looking for places where he can shop without the excessive shipping costs- due of course to the fragile nature of meat.

Thanks for any help you can provide

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

If you can't find it, I am sure there are emu or ostrich farms near there, and that is another alternative to buffalo, if not better.

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

They sell it at the grocery store here in the meat case. It's always available. Reasors is the grocery, and it's in Tahlequah. I believe I've also seen it at Albertson's over in Muskogee.

I don't know where Paragould is, but we're not that far from Arkansas.

He might also check with Oklahoma Foods, which is a state coop --- they sell direct from the producer to the buyer, and I know they've sold buffalo in the past. I think their website is http://www.oklahomafoods.org or http://www.oklahomafood.org . If neither of those work, let me know and I'll dig up the right URL.

Or call the Reasor's here and see if he can work something out.

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

BTW, if by chance he decides to buy through our coop, he'd have to join, which costs $50. But it's possible he could simply find a producer through the coop and work something out that way.

5. A couple of weeks ago I seen a ad for a 1000 lb. buffalo steer for sale in the "Big Nickel" paper that circulates the 4 corner area of Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Didn't say how much they wanted for it. If I wasn't so low on funds I think I might have inquired about it and tried it to see if I liked buffalo steaks. I've eaten chili made with buffalo meat. Couldn't really tell it was any different then eating beef. But you can put just about any kind of meat in chili and it still taste like....."Chili"!

6. OldFarmGal

OldFarmGal Well-Known Member

I don't know. I think if I had "dangerously high" cholesterol, I would skip meat altogether. At least, until it came down to just plain ol' "high".

BTW, Paragould is more NE AR.

If your friend MUST have bison meat, keep searching the internet. But, be aware that not all buffalo is pure. Often it is crossed with beef - aka "beefalo".

7. blazingguns

blazingguns Well-Known Member

Our area may be to far, we are in the Southwest of MO, but on Highway 60 west, there is a buffalo farm in Mansfield, and another right off 60, west as your going to Springfield MO.

8. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

I've been getting it at Kroger for a couple of years now. We like it much better than beef. It's a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for ... don't shrink much.

9. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, I get it at Kroger here (Memphis area).

10. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Yup. I have a buffalo roast in the crockpot at this very moment. Got it at Reasors in Tahlequah.

Your friend really needs to sit down and just call his local groceries. Someone somewhere is selling it in their meat case.