Budgetting for a pet's needs

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Peepsqueak, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Peepsqueak

Peepsqueak Well-Known Member

Someone presented a great idea. It would be nice to have a table for a pet budget.

Here would be my pet budget. This is for 2 70 lb dogs.

1. Puppy needs: shots: 1000.00/1year
    food: 500/1 year
    training and supplies: 1000.00 (includes classes)

2. Full grown dog maintenance
    yearly exams: 300.00 (for both dogs)
    food 1000-1500(quality or raw dog food)
    training 300.00 (back up training)
    medical emergencies: (have at least 2000.00 saved)
    pet insurance: 450.00/ year
    Heartworm prevention: 200.00 a year
    Flea preventative: 280.00/year

Miscellaneous: 300.00
    Fencing/housing needs: 500.00

This is about average spending on my pooches a year....no wonder my dh wants to get rid of 'em :shrug:

2. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

$1000 a yr. for shots? I don't belive my vet bills ever ran anything like that. Maybe it depends on the area.

3. Peepsqueak

That's for the two of them for the first year of puppy vaccines and boosters, etc. I do not spend that much on shots while they are grown.

The puppy program ranges from 250-350.00 a year for the whole program, plus boosters....this is a high priced vet area because in Houston animals are prone to more viruses, and illnesses. They advocate many more vaccines, etc. This is what I actually spent, but it is not imperative to get all the shots...just rabies really. I highly reccoment the parvo and the rhodovirus shots because the dog is guaranteed to get that here in Houston.

Also heartworm medicine is year around. Vet check ups include tests, and some bloodwork too. So this is about the money I spent. I would definately consider this when I get my next puppy......

Luckily I have a job and found out alot before I got my furbabies.....however, my dh is not happy about these expenses (tough cookies though....I love 'em anyway). :D

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

A large breed puppy's first year (shots, HW pills, fecal exams, HW check when old enough, and spay or neuter) will run about $650 at my clinic. A smaller puppy is a bit less expensive, but not a whole lot. And this is just routine stuff. If they get sick, I would say it costs $100-$150 average for exam and meds.

An adult large breed routine yearly (shots, HW check and pills, fecal exams) will run about $250 at my clinic. Once again ear infections, simple gastroenteritis, etc will cost an average of $100-$150. As they get older, bloodwork, etc. is considerably more expensive (probably another $150 to $250) and their long-term prescription meds can be quite costly (if they need them).

Gosh-I keep looking at your costs and are shocked! Then I remember to divide them in two and those numbers sound similar to my clinic.

5. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Essential shots bought from feedstore: $10 per dog per year.
    Rabies vaccine bought from feedstore: $4 per dog every 3 years.
    Heartworm med for the Dane adopted from Texas (per adoption agreement, even though it's not necessary here): $80 per year
    Dogfood purchase: about $40 per month

I've been very lucky over the last decade or so - my dogs are healthy animals. Plus, we don't have fleas or ticks here, and they don't get to go where they could pick up bugs or diseases (except for last year's trip to AR, from where they brought home one souvenir flea which I murdered on sight).
    If an emergency should pop up, we'll deal with it.

On the opposite side, my friend who loves her dog as much as I love mine has spent a fortune on her malamute's vet bills and specialty foods. He's allergic to everything in the book and has been having severe problems with recurring "coccidia" for four years now, and his immune system is pretty much shot due to overmedication and too many courses of antibiotics. IMO, money doesn't solve everything when it comes to good pet care. Sometimes, it can be a drawback.

6. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

The only thing I have done that I see going out of my way with my pets is getting a special food.

My grandfather's dogs had really sensitive skin. He spent lots and lots of money on them, getting them treated.

When he died and I took them in, they stopped getting groomed, stopped getting shots, and stopped going to the vet. I feed them Nutro and their skin has improved dramatically. They get the flea treatment and I clip them. The reduction in stress alone has helped them tremendously.

I don't love these dogs any differently, I don't think. I'm just trying to give them a good quality of life that wont break the back.

Lately, since Barney's cancer has advanced, I give them wet food mixed with Kelp, Omega 3, and stuff for stiff joints. I feed until they are content. At 15.5, they are doing fine, but I do expect to lose Barney shortly, if I don't put him down sooner if I see him failing.

7. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

Funny, my husband and I were just going over expenses tonight for the dogs we have.

Puppies- vet check, home visit fee and first parvo shot for 4 pups $140, second parvo $10/ per shot, distemper $4/ per shot bought from him, I give myself. Rabies $10 ea. with vet check for pups that are still here at 6 mo.
    CERF- $24/pup.
    HW prevent- $10- carbam tablets
    Food- raw- about $10/ week not including vitamin and kelp.
    Misc- litter, collars, leads, crate pads, toys, etc about $100 per litter.

Adults- vaccinated every 3 yrs for parvo and rabies- $20 plus vet trip fee of $60. Usually winds up being about $140- 160/yr depending on who needs revaccinated that yr.
    HW- $50/ mo for 12 older pups/adults.
    Food- about $63 per week- raw for 10 adults and 2 growing pups.
    Supplements- kelp, flax seed, garlic, mulitivitamin- about $2 per week for all.
    Vet expenses- includes anitbiotics, office visits, thyroid tests, breeding exams, hip xrays, etc- I budget about $500 a yr, most yrs that is more than enough to cover it and the vaccs. My worst yr was $1000 when we had a c-section and an open pyo in the same yr.
    I do not have pet insurance.
    Flea prevention as needed- 0- $30/yr
    Misc. - $100/yr
    Housing- not sure as heat/electric/ and air are on same bill as household. Maintence of fences and building- $100/yr.

My husband doesn't ask me to get rid of them and he has stopped asking me to feed kibble again since he has seen the big difference in them feeding raw- he does ask me to try to shop around for the best deals and to rehome any dogs that are not essetial to my breeding program, which I do for the most part.

I cut costs by giving my own vaccs, shopping around for deals on meat, supplements, HW preventative, supplies, antibiotics, etc. I get most of my crates and pads for free or cheap. I have started raising my own chickens so that will cut feed costs for the dogs and supplement people food expense, as will the rabbits when I start breeding them.

8. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

While the origional poster has a nice budget
    and it's commendable, That's not the real world.

If everyone waited till they had $4,000 plus
    in savings before they adopted a dog the pounds and rescues
    would hardly get anyone to adopt.

Shots? I wouldn't pay a vets office to do them, it's to expensive.
    I take my critters to pet store shot clinics where a lisc vet gives the shots.
    Costs 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

I also believe we over vacinate and if you go get a titer, most would see their dogs have great protection.
    Even when they changed the laws and now require for kids for school
    a 2nd MMR shot by 6th grade. I refused and had a titer done on my son.
    The school accepted the results.
    Studies are proving we over vacinate.

Pet Insurance no thank you, at 450 a yr for 7 pets that is over $3,100 and with shots, spays and one emergancy surgery (neutered male cat with urinary blockage) I have not spent that in 3 yrs which would be 3100 x 3 = 9,300

$1,000 for training, get a book or take a group class for $150.
    No classes here and my dog knows
    sit, down, stay, come, back, let go, crawl, speak and 'more' in both verbal and sign commands. She hasn't spent a day in a classroom.

The over population is bad enough now, if one had to wait till they had 4,000 to 5,000 per pet saved, the already bursting at the seams rescues would be in pretty bad shape.

I don't have $4,000 a yr per pet in a savings account. And mine are well loved, fed, healthy and cared for. Maybe a little bit spolied.

Cheap dog bed, a quilt on sale
    Cheap cat beds, a mini wooden clothes basket and 1/2 yard fleece
    Toys, my cats prefer a wadded up piece of paper to their fancy
    mouse shaped toys.

Commendable list, just not practical for the average person.
    My critters are all rescues or hand me downs, do you think they care if I have 4,000 saved in the bank for each of them?

PS: At the risk of sounding dumb, what is CERF?

9. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Living in an area where rabies is found on a regular basis, I would REALLY be concerned about giving rabies shots myself. If some dumb little kid gets bit by a dog and says it is YOUR dog that bit him, how are you going to PROVE that your dog had the rabies shot? Sure, you BOUGHT the shot, but that doesn't mean you actually GAVE IT to the dog...you could have sold it, lost it, broke it...whatever. Parvo, lepto and the other shots, that's one thing, but to have your dog killed and the head cut off because you wanted to save a few bucks?

Three year rabies shot here, at the vet's is $40...$25 at a shot clinic.

Mon

10. mizattitude

mizattitude Well-Known Member

Its seven dollars here for rabies...AND if the dog bites someone w/out proof of rabies they quaranteen (I cannot spell today) the dog for 7 days to look for signs of illness..I don't think they cut their heads off anymore..DO THEY?

11. Peepsqueak

Yes, I have to get mine done by a vet because they have to register with the city. If not I get fined ALOT of money. Plus I do not want to risk them snapping at a kid or knocking an old lady down, and when I am asked to show their health records, not having professional papers.

12. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Yes they do-testing the brain is the ONLY way to diagnosis rabies.

Most places will quarentine first, but if you are going to have the dog put down before the quarentine is up you HAVE to send it in for testing.

It varies from state to state whether or not an owner can legally give a rabies vaccination. In my state an owner can't even purchase a rabies vaccine because it MUST be given by a licensed veterinarian.

13. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Of course vet bilsl are goign to change region to region if I head into the urban area of Ottawa a basic exam/shots Plus rabies will run me around $200 CND and it can be higher. If I head south to just outside the city, same exam same shots just under half the cost. It pays to shop around. I like the vet to check out the crazy little dog once a year, I know my dogs but a second opinon is more than welcome. Certainbly I think the was a lot of over vaccination hopfully thats changign and I do beleive you have to check out what you're feeding. I was shocked when readign what was in alot of the foods available, for dogs but not half as shocked as what's in CAT food!

14. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't remember quite where I read it (maybe for MO or IL??) but if a dog did NOT have proof of rabies shot, it would be put down and the brain tested. If a dog DID have proof of the shot, it would just be quarentined for the proper amount of time.

Mon

15. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Food $64/mos = $768/yr
    HW $0 (don't ask, and yes they are on heartgaurd)

Yrly - Vet - very, very little. Other than what I see as requireds such as spay which Bella hasn't had yet. I expect that to run about $300 since she's over 100# and rather large.

Shots are $5 ea from the feed store.

Rabies are $7 ea = $49/yr with the cats included.

I do most of my own vet work on all of my animals and that saves a ton. I know not everyone can do that though, unfortunately.

16. Willowynd

I don't have $4000 either :) I agree with most of your points, over vaccination, pet insurance, etc. I try to save money where I can too- old blankets are sewn into crate pads, puppy toys are either 88 cents at walmart or garage sale stuffed animals (though Xmas time I splurge and buy some different toys that are usually not cheap), most of our training is done at home by me, though I do pay to go to confirmation classes with pups for a more real life experience. I don't trust shots from the feed stores, and making several trips to get dogs shots is not econimical for me, buying them from the catalogs winds up being just as much once I pay for shipping, so I have my vet come out to give them- plus he examines the dogs when he is here so doubles as thier wellness check. I also will not risk exposing pups to what may be lurking at the vet office, so I pay for him to come out to examine the litter and give first shot- worth the few extra $$. After that I buy shots from him inexpensively and give them myself until it is time for adults to get rabies again.

17. Willowynd

Forgot to answer this- CERF is an eye exam by an opthomologist to check for defects. In my breed CEA (collie eye anomoly) and PRA (progressive retinal atrophy) is a concern as both may cause blindness (CEA only in its severe form). Therefore, all of my pups are tested by 8 weeks old and adults used for breeding are tested as well.

18. Itu

Itu Member

Here in IL as long as you save the receipt for the rabies shot and the empty bottle, it is considered proof. I know this varies, state to state, but I'm not sure about county to county. But in my county the above is acceptable.

19. Willowynd

In Indiana the rabies must be given by a vet to be valid or you risk having the dog quarantined for 2 weeks if it breaks the skin barely - even by accident (grabs a sleeve, takes a treat too quickly) of human or any animal. Though I am able to order the rabies, and used to years ago, once I found this out- I have my vet give it.