Budget curtains

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by New Mexican, Jul 24, 2004.

1. New Mexican

New Mexican Well-Known Member

If you have a small bathroom window, live in a cold region and need a lined window treatment, use pillowcases!

Simply cut two slits in either end of the folded area of the case and slip a rod thru! You can use two or more, depending on the window width. Some cases come with lovely frills so a nice decorative flair is already there!!

I've also used sheets for larger windows. A bit of sewing required but mostly hemmed already! And you can get sheets at dollar stores for cheap, cheap!!

Just thought I'd share!!

2. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Now, that sounds nice and I'd like to see it done that way. In my neighborhood, people often use sheets on the windows, but their kid's Spiderman sheets on the front room window just don't get it for me.

I'd love to see some done your way. :)

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Towels make cute curtains for a bathroom window too. Just turn the top edge over, run one seam across and slip your curtain rod through. I've done this with fringed towels and sewn it so the fringe makes a sort of ruffle across the top. I usually use two matching towels so I can open them if I want to. Very cute and no hemming required...just one seam to make a sleeve for the curtain rod.

4. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

I like using lace tablecloths for curtains. If there's a hem already in the cloth large enough to accomodate a rod then you're good to go. Can pick up old lace tablecloths at yard sales and auctions for a fraction of what they cost new, and I like the look of the old ones better.

oh, and for the longer windows, don't forget to look at those fabric shower curtains. I found some really pretty ones at the discount store to use on my front window. They're ivory with just a bit of ribbon flowers and cutout work and really beautiful.

5. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

for the bathroom, i bought a yard of remnant for like a dollar, sewed the edges in zigzag, sewed a seam across the top and ran the rod thru. 5 min and 1$ got me a curtain the neighbor 10 feet away can't see thru.