buckwheat

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordson major, Dec 6, 2006.

1. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

ok other than pancakes, pillows, plough down/catch crop what use is buckwheat? had heard of it being toxic too animals (college many years ago!) have never grown it but been offered the use of some land long as we do not use herbicides, as the land is weedy, we are looking at buckwheat then a grain crop the next year.

2. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

its a grain, very course but of the same uses

3. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

We planted some last year as a green manure and I was flabbergasted at how the bees flocked to it. Millions of them in a plot about 120' x 600'. We could actually HEAR the bees before we saw them. If you have hives it ought to be good.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I have always heard that buckwheat grain combined with millet give all the essential amino acids necessary for complete protein in feeding livestock. I've used buckwheat in the garden as a green manure before it goes to blossom stage.

5. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    It is a VERY GOOD bee forage, but the resulting honey from it is dark in color and strong in flavor. Brings a premium as a specialty honey. :)

6. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

MMMMMMM, Buckwheat honey! I planted Buckwheat as a green cover crop last year. My bees loved it! It also is supposed to fix nitrogen in the soil? (what I heard) So a double-duty crop, even if you don't harvest the grain. Can't beat that with a stick!

7. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

Harvesting is more difficult than other grains because it flowers all season.You have ripe buckwheat and green buckwheat at the same time. Best to cut and let dry before running it thru the combine. Frost will kill it, even a light frost.

8. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I've planted buckwheat that past few years as a cover crop...well, that's how it turned out. My poor bees were very disappointed that the local wildlife ate it to the ground.

9. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Buckwheat isn't a nitrogen fixing plant like legumes, but it does provide lots of organic matter for the soil if tilled in green. I like to use it as a green manure, and till it in after it has started blossoming and has set some seed, so that it reseeds a second crop. I found that it blossoms and sets seed over a period of time so that you can have a hard time trying to decide when to harvest itfor a seed or grain crop. I usually try to keep a bag (50#) on hand for green manure, last back was about $30 at the local co-op feed mill--I think they ordered it for me and it took a couple of days to get.

10. reese

reese Well-Known Member

my very favoritest honey is Buckwheat honey, it's sooooooooooo good! Reese