Bucks

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Rancher, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Rancher

Rancher Well-Known Member

If a person has 4 bucks and 20 does, and he "assigns" B-1 (buck #1) to does D1 thru D5 and assigns Buck B2 to does D6 thru D10, Buck B3 to D11 thru D15 and B4 to D16 thru D20. He doesnt want to mix the breeding groups. Now, on day one he puts D1 with B1 and she takes. He also will put the doe back in the bucks cage 6 hrs after the first breeding. The question is... when can he rebreed the buck again. Is the buck finished for that day? Or can the buck breed 2,3,or 4 does a day?
    Rancher

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

You're bound to get a variety of answers on this one, and mostly from people with misconceptions, personal belief or personal experiences. However, according to a scientific research to examine the viability and potency of the bucks' sperm, a buck was used up to ten times in a 24-hour period without any ill effects or changes in the virility of the sperm. Please take note of the fact that the researchers merely "quit" at the tenth breeding, as the buck may have been able to perform more than ten times.

Also please note: The more often a buck is used, the faster he will simply age and be "used up."

Most large herd producers don't have the time to go back a second time hours later, so they allow the buck to make "contact" twice during the initial breeding. The buck will usually recuperate quite quickly after the first contact and will be able to service the doe, again, within minutes (or even seconds) of the first breeding. Research has also shown the rebreeding to be best if performed *within* the hour of the first breeding... not *at* one hour later, but before!

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

3. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Oh, good! Research data! Could you provide the research source?

I think we're all interested in research which will help increase
    conception/kindling. I experimented with returning at one hour.
    While it did increase kindling percentages, it wasn't enough to justify the
    additional time involved.

Is this pretty much the same across all breeds? Any idea of what
    an average number of ejaculations would be before being "used up"?

Thank you in advance, Pat!

4. Rancher

Thanks Pat and Linda,
    Thank you for your time on this matter.
    Rancher

5. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

Just so I'm crystal clear on this, Pat....

It is actually better to breed twice within one hour as opposed to 8-10 hours later?

6. Pat Lamar

According to what I read, yes.

Linda... I had posted a response to you, but I guess it got lost in cyber space. There is no way I can remember all the research I've read... my main source was the WRSA Journals, but don't ask me what issues, who did the research, what year, etc., etc. Also please note... I had stated *within* an hour after the initial contact... not *at* an hour. I just don't remove the doe until he's made that second contact and which usually occurs within minutes (or seconds) of the first contact.

As for how long for the bucks, a lot would depend on how often the buck is used. From my own personal observation... we used a buck to breed 2 to 4 does in one day once a week with a minimum of 2 ejaculations per doe (4 to 8 contacts). My bucks tended to last up to 5 years, but were "old men" by that time and generally just lost interest in breeding. I had one old guy die of a heart attack while breeding. I really don't think bucks are limited to a certain number of sperm, unlike the does who usually have only a certain number of eggs for their lifetime, so I really doubt that the sperm could even be "used up." I could be wrong, there... check with Mark about that one.

Pat Lamar
    President

7. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Mike, there was an Egyptian study published regarding the most effective
    time for remating. Although I can't find it online, this was discussed
    in Domestic Rabbits. The study found that returning a doe at
    1 hour increased conception and.............actually increased the number
    of kits delivered alive. If I remember correctly, there were several
    different times for remating involved.

This week end I will try to find that article and relay more details
    if anyone is interested.

As I said, I did some testing within my barn and I did achieve a slight
    increase in the number of kindlings when returning at 1 hour. However, I
    did not compare the number of kits born for the different methods.
    There were several other commercial producers who experiented with
    this also. I know one small producer who achieves almost 100%
    conception/kindling using the one hour rebreed.

[​IMG]

8. TINYMARIA

TINYMARIA Active Member

[From my own personal observation... we used a buck to breed 2 to 4 does in one day once a week with a minimum of 2 ejaculations per doe (4 to 8 contacts).]

Pat, I know this going to sound stupid, but since I still learning the breeding stuff, How do you know when he ejaculates?

Example: If my buck falls over 4 times, is that 4 ejaculations? I didnt realize there was a difference between contacts & ejacts.

9. Pat Lamar

I use the word "contacts" as a nice way of saying "ejaculations." I just don't like to use one word repetitiously all the time. If I bred 4 does with that buck in one day and with a minimum of 2 ejaculations per doe, that would make 8 "contacts" (or ejaculations: 4 does x 2 ejaculations with each doe = 8 total ejaculations).

Yes, if your buck fell over 4 times, that would mean 4 ejaculations, UNLESS he just slipped off from losing his grip. When a buck ejaculates, it's usually pretty "violent" to him and will be quite noticeable. There will be exceptions, though.

Pat Lamar
    President

10. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

Thank you both Pat and Linda for keeping up on these things in general and being so willing to take the time to keep the rest of us informed. Admittedly, I haven't been able to really pay much attention to my "herd" other than the occasional breeding for pretty much the last year. Other areas of life have taken precedent but the rabbits seem to be one of my points of sanity especially lately. If any of you have a mortgage search "Fairbanks Capital" or "Select Portfolio Servicing" and you'll see what I've been dealing with for several years.

Thanks for keeping me informed, guys. I appreciate it...

11. Rancher

Ditto what Mike says. Thanks to all who take their time to answer all our questions. Especially Pat and Linda.
    Rancher

12. kell

kell Well-Known Member

I was told to breed the buck with the doe and rebreed exactly 47 minutes later. It sounds funny, but I did it with two of my Harlequin does and both produced big healthy litters.
    KEL