Buck's reaction to pregnant does???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

How should a buck react to a pregnant doe? Would he want to breed her? Could pregnancy hormones imitate the smell of a doe in heat? I'm just curious. Two of my does, that I spoke of in a different thread, are being chased around by the buck. However, one of the them ran like crazy and dove (literally) behind a tree so he couldn't "get" her. Then he chased the other one around the "corral" (used to be horses here) twice and my husband said she was on a full run trying to get away. Both of these does are the ones that we think could be pregnant. I should also consider that they are in heat and just stubborn breeders. Anyway, I just wondered if being pregnant would make any difference in the way he would react. BTW, he is only 6 months old. He is an eager breeder!!

2. TC

TC Well-Known Member

All of my does will run away when their heat first starts, then they will let him have his way. This might take a day or so. The next day they love him to death, and he's not interested anymore! He's looking for someone else :rolleyes: Kinda sounds like some males of the human species, doesn't it?? :)

3. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

Yes, pregnancy hormones and smell of discharge from impending delivery can smell like "heat" to the buck. Last year my buck tended to really chase very pregnant does, was trying to breed a doe that was trying to kid-he got took out-and will be took out way b-4 any are close to due again. Not very good for a real pregnant doe to be ran. I had the advantage of knowing due dates last year-this year everything is a guess--he is a "sneak" breeder-(diferent buck) should have put a harness on him :shrug: But i do know the does well enough to know "how" they did last year, as far as bagging up in relation too kidding date ect. If i really thought they were close to kidding-i would pull them out of there.

4. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

That is what I wondered. Thank you so much.

5. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I have two does pregnant and when they are close to the fence the boys go crazy. Those boys will chase the girls, and when the girls are ready they will become good friends like TC said. I always feed my goats more then usual while they are in wit hthe boys because they lose weight running from and to eachother. the Bucks chase the wethers also.