Bucks and wethers--compatibility

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kasidy, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Kasidy

Kasidy Well-Known Member

I am thinking about getting rid of my current 4 year old buck and getting a buckling. I have had a wether for my current guy's best buddy---first time I had done this and now I feel sort of guilty for not doing it with previous bucks. So, do I need to sell the wether also? Would he be mean to the new little buck?
    Should I keep a baby wether to grow up with the baby buckling? Who can tell what the 4 year old wether's personality is really like. I mean the buck was always in charge of the friendship!! I kind of hate to sell him since he is broke to pull a cart and is big enough at around 200 lbs to pull quite a load. But I just cannot justify keeping two wethers. I know the does can be pretty mean to doelings to show them their place in the milking order----and I wait til they are six or eight months old to put them in the doe pen! If I ran the buckling with the bum lambs til he was four or five months old do you suppose he would be safe with a gigantic wether? Or shall I just bite the bullet, sell both and start all over? Anyone have any experience they could share? Thanks

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

My 160 lb wether gets along really well with little ones. He's very gentle with them. Each goat has a different personality, but my experience has been that wethers tend to be sweethearts.

3. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

I've put an adult buck with an adult wether & after a day or so they got the pecking order settled. Both did some pretty nasty headbutting-but they were of comparable sizes so that made a difference.

If it were me, I would keep the little one away from the whether until it was a little bit older & could defend itself a little bit. Then, I'd put something in their pen so the buckling could get away from the whether if it needed to. I would expect some head butting to go on, but I'd watch them closely to make sure the little guy doesn't get beat up too much the first day. Maybe put them together for 15 minutes a day until they get used to each other. I think eventually they would work it out.

Also, I'd put 3 feeding temporary bowls/racks (a clothes basket worked for me) in for them-the whether will probably try push the buckling away, and with 3 bowls/racks for feed, the buckling would have a better chance to get his fill. This is what I did with my buck & whether & all had plenty to eat those first few days.

Good luck!

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Can you use maybe a couple of pallets with one or two of the boards knocked out and set up across a corner so the baby has somewhere to be where the wether can't reach him? If I were concerned, I'd set up something like that, putting a dog house in the fenced off area for the buckling to have shelter, and provide some feed and water in there too. Eventually he and the wether will msot likely get lonely and make friends.