Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long after high summer temps can a buck breed. That is if the temps have made him sterile.
They say temps don't bother younger bucks, how young would they have to be for the heat not to bother them, as far as breeding goes. My youngest buck is 5 monthes old would it hurt to use him once?
Would it help if I go out at midnight to put the doe with the buck?
 

·
Milk Maid
Joined
·
2,873 Posts
I read today that when temps get into the 90's it can temporarily make them sterile - and the sterility lasts for about 2 weeks. I look forward to more knowledgable responses :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
831 Posts
Would it help if I go out at midnight to put the doe with the buck?
It's going to take longer than 4 or 5 hours for the sperm to
rejuvenate.

I can't specifically answer your question about how long it might
take for a buck to become viable after a temporary (remember
that many are permanently sterile) sterility. I cull bucks who
are sterile. I do know that some breeders in Texas will
use their bucks in October and have zero litters in November.
I would guess that it might take several months IF they
are able to overcome the sterility.

Although I seldom have a sterile buck, the ones previously
culled for sterility were at least two years old.

EDITED to add: Does can be affected by the heat as well as bucks.
Rabbit Production, 8th Edition, states that the period of sterility *may*
last 4 to 5 months in extreme cases.

Linda Welch
 

·
bluebird2o2
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
I keep young bucks six months of age for fall breeding.3 days of 85 or more heat will cause temporary sterility.at 5 months he may or may not do the job for you.i would give it a try.my good bucks are in the garage where its cool.I breed in the evening or early morning when its the coolest.bluebird
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went out last night and put the californian doe in with my new buck and the rx doe in with the 5 month old.
Both performed well. Put them back together and hour later.
So now it is a waiting game.
I have to try to get some litters raised, before we go on our fall business trip or I;ll be waiting till next spring for bunnies.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top