Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a purebred Saanen buckling this summer. He was born April 18th. Will he be old enough to breed our girls this fall? We have him in a separate pen with 2 wethers. He has shown no signs of rut. We asked a friend, and she didn't think he would be old enough. What do you all say?

I sure am hoping he can as he is our only buck. I would like to breed our 5 girls in October and November. Thanks for your opinions.

Winona

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I used a buckling last year - born in June, bred him to a couple of girls in late October/early November - got two sets of twins. :) So, yes, your boy will be old enough. He may not be in full rut, but if the girls are in heat, he'll figure it out pretty quick! :p

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
The first year they don't stink much.

He may need help, and I wouldn't run him with the does. A baby buck doesn't have very much semen, and can be easily intimidated or even injured by mature does. Watch them for heat and hand breed them, making sure that he penetrates and ejaculates (he will rear backwards and roll his eyes back). Goopiness isn't sufficient indication, because honestly, some does in heat are really goopy all by themselves.

If the does are too tall for him to reach, you may need to back the doe up to a platform or a couple hay bales that he can stand on to even out the height difference.

I would pen him seperately, so he won't lose weight, waste semen trying in vain to breed the does he can't reach, or get beat on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.