Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago, there was a post somewhere on this forum regarding a drowning trap for rats & mice. The trap consisted of a bucket half-full of water, a board, and a smear of peanut butter.

I've tried the search function, and had no luck.

Can anyone point me to the thread in question, or describe the construction of the trap?

Many Thanks,
NeHi

·
Registered
284 Posts
Stretch a wire across the top of the bucket, 3" below the rim edge, with a can that rolls on the wire. Spread peanut butter on the can. Wire a slanting stick onto bucket to point at the center of the can, to the ground for the mouse to run upon. Put 1/2 water in bucket.
I've filled the bucket with drowned mice overnight in one mouse monster movie.
Refresh peanut butter often, to keep scent wafting.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
biggest thing with this set-up is to make the wire go threw the middle of the can or bottle...whatever you use so that it spins freely. get it ''lopsided'' and it doesnt work as well.......ive seen as many as fifteen in the trap at my camp.....mink

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! Thank you! Exactly the threads and tips I was looking for!

NeHi

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
I'm so glad this was reposted! My mother has been having an ongoing battle with mice for over a year. She's tried snap traps and sticky traps but with her dog around, she's worried about the pup getting into trouble with the traps. This sounds like a pretty pet-safe solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts