Bucket calf?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by FlipFlopFarmer, Feb 6, 2004.

1. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Well-Known Member

I've seen the term "bucket calf" used on a few posts. What does that mean?

Also, from some of the books I have read, they suggest that I have another cow or calf in with your dairy cow or atleast another animal to stay with the cow as they are social beings and will be happier that way. I guess I can understand it in theory - wanting to be part of the herd/pack like a dog but is this really neccessary? I want a happy cow but being new to this I want to be able to focus all of my attention on the dairy cow - not another animal.

Thanks
    :)
    Carla

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Bucket calves and bottle calves are basically the same thing. Calves can be fed milk replacer out of a bucket, although I strong recommend against it. Calves need to nurse (momma or bottle) with their heads up in order to ensure the milk goes into the right stomach compartment.

If you milk cow has a calf each year it will be all the company she needs. However, wouldn't hurt to run a steer for the freezer with her either.

Ken S. in WC TN

3. Razorback21

Razorback21 Well-Known Member

Hello,
    A few days late answering this, but I'm one of those that use the term "bucket calf". We still call them bucket calves here in Southern Illinois even though all of us here bottle feed. I don't even think our farm supply stores here even sell bucket feeders anymore. Most folks who do dairy beef programs bottle feed. By the way, we still call refrigerators "iceboxes". Seen any ice wagons lately? lol.

Razorback21

4. FlipFlopFarmer

I have family in Illinois central and southern and I've noticed since I've left how different the language is.

According to my Mom who still lives in Illinois the last meal of the day is "supper" - we call it dinner. She will call me and ask me what I'm making for supper and I giggle and tell her we don't eat supper - this always confuses her! :haha: The thing that sits next to the dryer in the laundry room is a "warsher" instead of a washer. And my favorite one...I live in Oregon - which is just below the state of Warshington.
    Cracks me up! :)

Thanks for the info - now I know what a bucket calf is - there are so many terms to learn.

Carla
    :)

5. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Carla,
    try coming here from England where fries are chips, chips are crisps and cookies are biscuits, and the list goes on!! I'm still confused sometimes and I've been here 13 years. Your post made me chuckle.

Carol K

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Will Rogers once said during depressed times, "There are folks who say have eaten, who ain't et yit."
    Flipflop, When you get yer milkin done, you'll be ready to warsh up and eat yer supper. What did you eat in the evening when you lived in Illanoise?

7. FlipFlopFarmer

Oh Carol how confusing!!!!

Uncle Will - I have made it my personal mission in life to inform western folk that there ain't no noise in Illinois!

:) Carla