Buck will soon be history!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Spinner, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I just read about the buck who broke thru the barn. My buck drives me crazy too. He gets out, but that isn't why he will soon be history. It's the smell! I can smell him ALL the time. I swear, I can even smell him when I'm gone to town, and I smell him in my sleep. It's like the smell gets into my head and doesn't leave. I even have a bad taste in my mouth that reminds me of his smell. I want that smell GONE. I'll even give him away to someone if they'll promise me I can bring my ladies to visit him next fall. But I want him away from here so I can't smell him anymore. His pen is far from the house, but the smell rides on the wind. :rolleyes:

2. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

Spinner, I know the feeling. THEY STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN!!! He is the stinkiest billy I have ever smelled. I dont know if it is because I am pregnant or what. But I feel like puking when ever I am around him. LOL

3. Dale in Ar

Dale in Ar Well-Known Member

where are you located Spinner???? I'll take that smelly old goat off your hands if we are close enough.Now,if you want to stay in the goat business,you have to get use to the smell.My Dad raised brush goats when I was a kid myself,I could smell the billies.Well,after 40 yrs.I can still smell that smell in any goat product(even though people say you can't),that smell stays with you.I said I would never own a goat because of the smell but here I am back into the business,although I don't have the big herd like my dad had.The smell,get use to it if you want goats.

4. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Ah the smell of fertility. LoL IF he didnt smell you would be on here asking if something was wrong with him and if he will be able to get the girls preggers! I am used to the smell but dh still complains. Now I will never get used to them peeing on their face and then coming over wanting me to love on them. Ewe go away now! :rotfl:

5. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, bucks - the necessary nuisance!

niki

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Spinner where are you and what kind of goat is he? I guess the smell only bothers me this time of year because they are in rut,. I can barely smell them anyother time. :dance:

7. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I'm in SE OK. What part of Ark are you in? If you are close enough, I'll give him to you with the agreement that I have breeding rights to him or another buck that is as good or better than him. I have a neighbor that is interested, but hasn't gave me a firm yes or no yet. Everyone wants him, but they don't want to commit to future breeding. :shrug: I guess they think I'll just going to give him away for nothing, NOT. He's a sweetheart the rest of the year, but during rutting season he's more than I want to deal with. I only have 2 does, so I really don't want to keep him year round. He needs to be with a large herd.

edited to add: he's a full blood Saanen, but no papers go with him.

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Aaaahh, for the love of stinky bucks!

I have two of the stinkyist bucks I have ever had the pleasure of knowing! This year is the worst ever! perhaps it is the heat around here, it is 96 degrees right now...wil fall ever come? It used to be that when I opened the door and stepped outside, the smell of the bucks, which I like to call "boy joy" would just about knock me over, but now, it has permeated everything I own. Me, my hair (I have dreadlocks that really lock it in and a well going dry so I only wash my dreads every other day now instead of shampooing every day), my clothes are saturated in buckiness...the washing machine died 2 months ago so we go to town to my sister's house to wash (Bless her heart)...I drop my clothes at the back door, placing my smelly bucky clothes in a garbage bag til wash day. My furniture smells like bucks....my daughter owns a steam cleaner, soon we will clean everything in the house!...that poor steam cleaner!...hope it is industrial strength!

My milkers smell like the buck as i had to get them bred, it is taking weeks to get it off them and their udders, so i can't save and freeze the milk for humans...I am freezing it for the little pigs we will be feeding later...surely THEY won't mind!

When we go to town, I am sure I am a sight...a bucky smelling goatlady with holes in her jeans with an odor that will knock even the toughest ol' cattle rancher down.....but hey, I am in good company on this forum as i can smell the smell leaking out of my computer screen right now! :)

9. Dale in Ar

Spinner,I'm up here in the Northwest corner of Arkansas.It is about 2 1/2 hours drive from Ft/Smith.

10. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy dale...where ya abouts...I am also in nw ar....might know ya.....Ya dont happen to own nadines do ya?.......dale anne

11. Dale in Ar

dale anne,Hi,I'am in Berryville.I am starting out in Boer goats and have 5 young does right now.I'm not get into the goat business to fast,farm not set up to run too many.

12. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have heard that the does and the billies, in the wild, drift apart and do not necessarily stay together. The smell is Mother Natures was of letting the ladies know where the gents are when they need them.

True? Not true? I don't know, but it SOUNDS good! :p