buck will not eat today

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goat mother, May 16, 2005.

1. goat mother

goat mother Active Member

I Am Very Worried Today, My Buck Did Not Eat This Morning. He Always Comes Running And Knocks The Other Goats Out Of The Way.
    I Have Not Noticed Any Red Tint To His Pee. Or Any Other Thing That Would Show Concern. A Little History.
    He Is In With The Herd. He Is 2 Yrs. Old. 100% Boer. Weight 280lbs.
    He Eats Hay At Free Will, Min Block, And A Mixture Of 14% All Stock, Alfalfa Pellets, Med Pellets, And Oats. He Also Has 15 Acers To Roam And Eat On. I May Be Jumping The Gun On My Concern But We Paid A Lot Of Money For Him 2 Months Ago And He Has Been A Great Investment For Our Herd.
    Any Comments Would Be Welcome Am I Jumpping The Gun Here?
    Felica

2. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Without any other symptoms it's hard to tell. Did you take his temp? Does he have baking soda free choice so he's not bloated?

I'd try offering him something else, like GREEN maple leaves, or another treat. Perhaps a couple squirts of nutridrench and/or yogurt just in case, and keep a close eye on him for further symptoms. It's been my experience that a goat off food is not a good sign.

3. goat mother

Thank You For Telling Me About Baking Soda I Did Not Know About That. Is It For All Goats Or For Males Only? I Have Not Taken His Temp But I Will. I Am New To This And It's Great To Have People To Ask. I Was Almost Sure That A Goat That Did Not Eat Was A Bad Sign,
    I Will Try The Things You Said And See. My Husband Said That I Might Give Him Pen C And See If That Helps But I Don't Like Giving Them Shots If I Really Don't Have To.
    Thank You Very Much.
    Felica

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

The baking soda can be kept out free choice for all goats. They seem to know when they need it and will eat it then. Question: Have you done anything different at all in your care of the buck that may have made him go off feed, anything at all? Something to ponder. Have you had a recent rain that has caused an abundance of fresh, new, rapid weed growth? Also, the medicated pellets done work unless that is all you feed them. The other feed you are feeding dilutes the medication in the pellets and the goats do not get the full intended dose in their diet. This causes the coccidia to build up tolerence to the med and creates "super-coccidia" on your farm and in your dirt. This is my opinion as someone who has taken a course in microbiology. I wish you the best with you buck, keep us posted....Diane

5. goat mother

He did eat about a cup of fed yeaterday. He is stil lhas not had a BM he try's very hard but nothing comes out. He pushes like a doe having a kid. he is walking around today and just looks and smells the feed. There is not one feed store that sell's the meds in Lufkin. I did give him nurta-drenach, pepto and probis(spelling)
    Is there anything i can give him like a laxitive to help him pass it. (BM) or is it time to call the vet? He is beautyful and we don't want to loose him. One feed store told me it was nothing and keep giving him freash feed and he would eat when he was hungery BUT i know that is not right. i will not go there again.
    Thank you all for ur help so far. oh ya so i need to start feding only med feed or start giving the Safeguard wormer again? They have only had 2 weeks of med pellets added to there feed.
    felica

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

You say he is straining as if to have a BM. Is he urinating? Perhaps he is straining to urinate. Bucks can get bladder or kidney stones and have VERY DIFFICULT times passing them. It can be fatal. The buck has a longer urinary tract than the female. Just a thought...Diane

7. goat mother

he is peeing and it is yellow, he did eat again about 1 hour ago 2 cups that was great!!!!
    It is just so hard to tell without sitting and watching him for an hour or more. Thank you for your help and i will post if anything different happens.
    felica

8. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

Does his feed have ammonium chloride in it? He could have a urinary blockage. He may have had a small one and passed it and all is fine now. However, if that is what happened, it will happen again, usually within a week. I would get him on the AC if he isn't already. That way it will dissolve any forming and keep it in check. When they are blocked they strain, crane their neck and will grunt and carry on, they stretch their bodies out and just moan. It is awful, you know they are in pain. This is serious, their bladder can rupture from this and they die.

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

official_etgra-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

You may want to join this group. They are up in your area and are mostly boer goat breeders, they do put on a dairy goat show along with their boer goat show (actaully it was weekend before last). If you can't get them through this email talk to these folks: z_carrilloa@TITAN.SFASU.EDU The Carriloa's are gret people. You do have dietary concerns up in that area, especially near Zavalla with urinary calculi due to the high minerals in the water. Using ammonium chloride in the feed, and then top dressing it at 1 teaspoon per buck per day is pretty essential. You have diluted the amount of ammonium chloride drastically in your medicated pellet with all the other stuff you add to it, they certainly are not getting enough. I would also be really concerned about a buck who has only been there this short of time on this much grain. You may be looking at an intestinal blockage with him not pooping. Other than getting them back into shape after a very busy season, and most folks don't have large enough herds to really keep a buck busy, bucks simply don't need all this grain. Moving the does nursing kids out of the main herd, leaving the bucks with dry does on the best quality hay and browse you have is really all that is needed. I know boer folks are into all this big goat stuff, but most of the goats are not big, they are fat. 280 pounds on a 2 year old frame is simply excessive. When you have to put down or butcher one of your adult stock, pay special attention to the packed on leaf fat around all the internal organs of the goats, especially those who have fat at point of elbow and jiggle when they walk. Excessive fleshing is the same type of abuse as emaciated goats are.

If your medicated meat goat pellets were a good quality one, Pilgrims meat goat pellet for instance, you would not have to top dress with all these other products, the second ingredient is alfalfa meal, it also contains ammonium chloride and deccox for your kids.

What would be great about you joining or visiting with these club members to find yourself a mentor in your area who has goats you admire, also finding out who the local vets are that know anything about goats. Also talking feed, efficency of feed, and what mineral defficiencies besides copper you have in your area. Good luck with your herd. Vicki

10. goat mother

1ST THANK U ALL 4 HELPING ME THROUGH THIS TOUGH SPOT WITH THIS NEW BUCK WE BOUGHT. MY CRAZY COMPUTER WOULD NOT LET ME ONLINE FORR DAYS. I COULD NOT KEEP IN TOUCH WITH UR HELP. HE IS DOING GREAT I DON'T KNOW WHAT WAS WRONG WITH HIM. HE GOT UP ONE MORING AND STARTED LIKE LIKE HIS SELF AGAIN. I WLL DO THE SODA AND LOO INTO THE COPPER CONTENT ON MY PKG. OF FEED. THERE IS SO MUCH TO LEARN IN A DAY!!!! LOL IT IS CRAZY AT TIMES. I DON'T SEE HAOW SOME PEOPLE NEVER SEEM TO HAVE TROUBLE IN THERE HERDS. THIS IS OUR 1ST YEAR WITH ANYTHING BUT 4-H GOATS. BIG DIFFERENCE.
    FELICA