buck w/ bloody urine..or something like that

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dk_40207, Nov 13, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

The buck that we just got seems to have a problem. Or maybe it's normal. The truth is, I haven't read that much about bucks...
    He urinates fine. It appears normal--but he keeps "dribbling" what apears to be watery blood. It comes out in a sory stream, not like when he urinates...
    Is this something to do w/ being in rut, or is something wrong w/ him? :shrug:

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

Most likely urinari stones (urinari caliculli). Quick, put vinegar in his water. I think its 1 cup vinegar to 1 gallon water. Also, remove any excess protein (grain) from his diet. You should be able to find feed in your local feed store specifically for male goats that has (I think) Amonium Chloride in it. This will help avoid stones in the future. I , however, ONLY give my bucks hay and water since I had one get this problem when I started. Stones will kill him. If you dont see improvement in a day or two, or he gets worse, get a vet immediately.
    Just my first quess. None of the things I suggested can hurt, so give them a try.
    GOOD LUCK
    Christina Wolverton
    Wolverton Family Farm

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

order some ammonium chloride to use and keep on hand from pipevet.com it's around $5. Drench him with 1 tablespoon...just add a tiny bit of warm waer to dissolve this salt, and syringe it down him, once a day until this is overwith. From then on just keep 1 teaspoon per buck per day over his grain. Moving to a meat goat pellet that contains it already is easy, just keep your leftover AC in tupperware in a cool cabinet to use in emergencies.

Grain/phophrous is the culprit here not protein. Vinegar although it does keep the water troughs clean and free of algea and some goats love the taste and will drink more water with it in the water,, will no change the pH of the urine to stop Urinary Calculi formation.

Do you have a good loose mineral out for him? Vicki

4. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Is it clear, and is there any chance he's eating red maple right now? That will turn urine red.

Any vet can run a quick check to see if the coloration is actually blood. Worth catching a sample and getting it looked at tomorrow.

Also check the rest of the herd and see if everyone with access to the same browse is peeing red. But still worth getting a sample tested, it's low cost and could be a lifesaver if it's something other than dyed urined. Urinary calculi are horrible and they can take a goat down fast.

Lynda

5. dk_40207

Okay, thanks. Does anyone know if I can get ammonium chloride at a vet or any type of local store??? Sounds like ordering online may be ify as far as timing goes. I don't think it;s red maples. He could have had some where he came from--but he will urinate fine, but have shorter dribbles of bloody in between...I didn't think he was getting grain where he was before, but maybe..he was one of the "free" goats that are turning out to be huge headaches!
    Would this problem make him not want to breed a doe in heat? We have one in heat(we think) and they are really "into each other", but everytime we think hes gonna go for it--they just sort of quit acting all lovey...

6. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

This problem, if it is UC, will make him very dead if not taken care of quickly. It is an agonizing death. I hope you find some AC soon.

7. dk_40207

Anyone know where I can find it?!?!?

8. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

how much vinegar would you use in a 50 gallon tank to keep the algae down?? white vinegar or apple cider vinegar

9. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

try your feed store. :)
    in the meantime call your vet he/she might be able to unclog the drain.

10. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I had a six year old wether that got calculi..from what..I don't know. There was a change in the hay..he never got grain.

The vet did not treat it like everyone here does..but it sure as heck pulled him outta the fire.

We used a urinary acidifier..DL Methionine..500 mg .. we gave two tablets per 50lb of body weight. I also gave him two shots of pen. And a shot or two of Ace. I also messaged him. In three days...he was peeing like a champ and being his usual care-free .. happy-go-lucky self.

I ground the tabs and put them in water. And syringed (no needle) it into his mouth.

I am trying to remember...I think I gave him B-Complex also.

Good luck...if it is calculi..catching it and treating it promptly sure saves a lot of pain for the goat..not to mention saves his life.

P.S. Just a thought..right before he dislodged..a drip turned into a stream very slowly. But it was a continuous dripping. He did this afterward for a while too. So maybe..in a best case scenario..he is about to pass one..or has already done so. Worse case scenario..he is getting ready to shut off the pee..then you are in trouble. Just wanted you to be aware that the dribbling occurred in Red too..but in his case..it was the beginning of relief. He was struggling to get any pee whatsoever out when we first were aware he had a problem.

11. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

Apple Cider Vinegar

12. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

how much would you use---dont want to use too much so they wont drink it and i sure want to use enough to do the trick

13. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

14. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Any update on your boy? If he is bleeding..I don't think vinegar water will cure it very quick. How is he?

15. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

I was told 1/4 cup of ACV in 5 gallons of water.

16. dk_40207

Oden update: I have been unable, as of yet to find any A chloride. I've called around, and no vets stock it around here. There is a veternary supply place in town and my husband is calling them today to see if they have it. One vet also recommended one feed store. We are going to call them, too(they are pretty far from us, that's why I didn't call them in the first place).
    He is urinating fine....that is what is so weird. It's inbetween urinations that he "leaks" what apears to be bloody urine. He seems to feel okay too. He is interested in one of my does--but he won't breed her..any thoughts on this?

These free goats are turning out to be a little bit of a pain! One w/ a raging case of mastitis(she probably won't milk out of that ide next year) and now this guy. They also all have mild rot. Whew. Theupside is that they all have great personallities:)
    I didn't think this guy was getting any grain--he was pretty much neglected for the past year--so this really suprised me..

17. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

a buck does not neet to get grain to develope UC. neglect in form from not regularly fresh water can do this too. some grass high in phosphor can do it.
    that he is still peeing means the stone is not big enough yet to block him totally. the stone is exactly why he will not breed your does. i bet he is in pain.
    when you called the vet he did not recommend to bring the buck in to remove the obsticle? :nono:
    order the AC at jeffers today, call them and let them send it to you as soon as possible.
    those free goats can indeed become a money pit for you.

18. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

You are not likey to find amonium cloride except online. It has been 2 days now and if you had ordered it when you first posted it would almost be there. Order it online and keep looking local, it is cheap and with bucks you need to keep it on hand. If this is not stones he could have a problem with his penis and that is why he is not breeding. Have you seen him bring it out and spray urine on himself? If so look at it and make sure he doesnt have an infection on it. I am wishing him well.

19. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

My vet had the DL Methionine on hand. It does the same thing..and it worked extremely fast on Red. He was totally NOT peeing and within an hour..he started dripping and then a stream of pee started. I know no one else has talked about this stuff. But if your buck is in trouble..and one of the vets has it on hand..what have you got to lose?

Also..IF this is a stone trying to pass...when it gets in a certain position...he will not be eating..he will be in horrible pain. This vet is the only one I know that uses ACE on goats. He gave me some for Red's pain and to relax him. It was .9 cc...that's right... .9 cc. He gave me a special little syringe that loaded that small amount easily. I truly think that that and massaging and warm compacts helped him to pass the stone.

Anyone else use this method?

20. dk_40207

Alright! Whew! A big "THANKYOU SWEETIE!!" to allenslabs who found me some locally! It's a bit of a drive, but I'll be able to get him some tonight! And no, none of the vets wanted to helpout in that regard:( I've heard that about vets around here. They make their money on the folks wo have a zillion horses to sit out in the yard and look pretty!
    Thanks everyone!