Buck trying to mount PG goat???????

Discussion in 'Goats' started by janceejan, Dec 25, 2005.

1. janceejan

janceejan Active Member

Me and my weird goats.......got a momma due in March. The new buck is all over her today, acts like she is in heat. She definetly is PG, what could be causing this? He is totally ignoring all the others, and they are PG as well. Does she still have heat like symptoms while she is PG?

2. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

Are you SURE she isn't due till March? When does get close too kidding, they start "smelling" like they are in heat-i have had this problem w/my buck and the does anywhere from a few days b-4 till when they were actually in labor!! :eek:

3. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

often times the pregnancy hormones omit an odor similar to the smell of estrus. That is why your buck is riding her.

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Its called hormones! I would get that buck out of the doe pen if I were you, don't want those pregnant does aborting from the stress.......

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I agree, it is likly just hormones, but i would take her out of there due to stress. Good Luck, bye.

6. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

How is the doe acting towards him? Is she flagging her tail and acting interested? It is possible she mayhave miscarried and then coem back into heat.

7. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

She could have miscarried or maybe the first breeding didn't take. On the other hand, I've heard of does who have let the buck breed them throughout their pregnancy.

8. janceejan

janceejan Active Member

These two goats we bought back in October. The previous owner said Troubles, the grand old lady was due anytime now. Topper, was due about a month behind her. Well, November came and went, and now December has almost come and went. I finally got hold of the woman last week and she said my DH must have misunderstood her, Troubles wasn't due for 6 more weeks, and Topper still a month behind her. Now Troubles is the size of a box car, and she said oh yeah she gets really big with her babies. Topper on the other hand doesnt get real big.

Well Topper is the one the buck is messing with, and I noticed this afternoon she looks like she is losing her plug, all wet and slimey looking. So, for precautions, both Troubles and Topper are put up tonight and will probably stay that way for a couple of days to see what happens.

BTW, she had got that funny arch to her back just before her tail. I do believe this woman we bought from didnt have a clue when they bred.

Thanks for all the input. Us newbies need all the help we can get.

9. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I think separating them is the best thing. She could also be wet and slimey if she's in heat. Did she stand for the buck? Was she acting like she was in heat?

10. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Sounds like she is going to have them soon, the wet slimy thing could be the mucus plug, and the tail arching is something that all of our girls do when they are starting to have contractions. Good luck, I will be praying for you, the mama's, and for the unborn babies. Good luck once again, bye.

11. janceejan

janceejan Active Member

Well, no action today, other than the scolding I am taking from Topper and Troubles for being grounded....lol. The buck laid outside the pen most of the morning, just looking and talking, but hunger took over and off he went.

I checked her this morning, not wet, her belly feels the same. Just got the waiting game now. Thanks again for all the advice. :)

12. ozark_jewels

Hmmm, he sure is acting like she is in heat. You say she is definately pregnant.....is she showing a lot?? It is possible she quietly aborted and has come back in heat. Was she receptive to the buck and playing up to him?? I hope it is just the pregnancy hormones making him go nuts........

13. janceejan

janceejan Active Member

Gosh Emily, I really dont know. I and the woman who sold her to me both felt she was pg in Oct when we bought her. She is large, but could be just "stout"...lol. I tried to check her belly this pm when I went out to feed, she was again dry, udders not full, belly solid low towards her udders. The sides are extended and this evening she looked PG. Guess I will keep her put up a few more days, just to be sure. As for aborting, I guess that was possible and me not knowing, her and Troubles were the only two on 10 acres for about 2 months, we put them up every evening. But no noticeable changes that we could tell. As for heat indicators........duh....I am so new at this.....she would let him approach her, and allow him to nuzzle her side. If he tried to mount her she would walk away, tail swishing all the time. So I guess from what I read that could be a yes?

14. ozark_jewels

Dang, I really couldn't say without seeing the goats.... :rolleyes: They are all different....If she didn't let him mount, then she is likely not in heat. If her belly is low in front of her udder, that is usually a sign of heavy pregnancy.
    If you were watching her every day then you probably would have seen if she had aborted a kid. There would have been a little blood at least. Have you thought of keeping the buck away from the does after they kid? If you don't, you will likely end up with them getting bred to soon...... :(

15. janceejan

janceejan Active Member

Thought I would pull a smart one today...lol. Troubles and Topper were "ungrounded" this morning, let them out of the pen to roam, thought I would keep the billy put up to ease the stress. Needless to say he was grumpy that he was in lock up, but soon settled down. Had to go to town to pickup feed, came back quietly to see how he was doing. :eek: He wasn't in the pen. Evidently had jumped the fence and was walking around with the others. Now I am new at this, but never thought he could take on a 6 foot fence of welded pipe and cattle panel. :confused: Learn something new everyday.

Update on Topper tho.....she is staying away from him, the others seem to know, they are staying with her and not letting him to her, real protective. She is not as receptive as she was a day or so ago, did see her tho.....mounting one of the young wethers..........is it a full noon yet? :bash: