Buck / silkie luv story

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by poultryprincess, Jan 16, 2004.

1. poultryprincess

poultryprincess Well-Known Member

:no: My Californian buck is rooming with a pair of silkies....all about 7 months old. The last few weeks we have notices the buck has started to chase the silkies & hold on to the tail feathers. As he is holding on, he seems to be trying to line them up for some luvin'. :eek: The silkies try to pull away, but he is holding on pretty good. Sometimes the silkie roo will start pecking the bucks head so he will let go.The female is much smaller & not as successful. My question...can the buck hurt the silkies? Today I noticed the roo was wet on the tail & curve of the back ( I have seen the buck lay his head there, to "pretend" he is not going for the tail / then he grabs on) * Is there anything that can be done for an amorous buck? ( permanent girlfriend?) Thanx for any replies, I know it's maybe silly to be concerned but better to know Before a problem arises!

2. stoney

stoney Member

Why are your silkies in with the rabbit in the first place. Pick them up, pull the feathers out of em, throw em in the wash and put em in the drawer with the rest of your underwear. Problem solved.

3. poultryprincess

What Underwear?!?! :haha: :haha: :haha: Sorrrrrrrrrrry I just couldn't resist! ( I tried - REALLY I did) :no: :no: :no:

4. stoney

stoney Member

5. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

Well you know how men are... They think of two things... One is food... and well we all KNOW the other... Either get him a girlfriend or get him out of the coop...Basically he is raised with these cute fuzzy things, they may smell different than him, and walk taller but in affect he doesnt think they are any different than him... Hormones kick in and say "find a mate".... He looks around and all he sees is the things hes been with... Poor bunny is TRYING to do his best with the situation....And lets face it, if your Californian is the size of mine he can pretty much tell a silkie what to do and how to do it...
    Hmmm A new breed!!! Rabickins!! WOnder if they'd taste like chicken or rabbit?? LOL

6. poultryprincess

I have been told that if I give the buck a female, he will LUV her to Death...is that not the case? I would gladly buy him a wife. ( IF he can have a female companion, would he not kill any offspring?) As you can tell, I am just a Newbie...but I have read 2 books on rabbits / still a newbie. I await to hear your advice :worship:

7. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

If you insist on pasture ranging [dont recommend it, do a search on tulleremia] depending on the space you have in your pen put 2 or 3 does in with the buck. Make sure they have plenty of space and put hay bales in so they can burrow when it comes time to kindle.

8. poultryprincess

:eek: Call me green, but I searched "tulleremia" with no results....but any who, I take it that mixing buck & does is Not a good thing!?! I guess Mr. Bigilsworth is destined to be mateless. :waa: My DH is such a softie, that he frets about this. I was planning to make the buck a place in the freezer but this is too much for DH. I will remain happy that the buck will keep the silkies company. Thanx anyway.

9. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

That disease is spelled as TULAREMIA, so that's probably why you couldn't find anything about it. Lost all my bookmarks when my computer crashed, last month, so I can't refer you to any particular web sites for more information. However, I just did a quick search, so you might want to take a look at the following sites:

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/tularemia/index.asp

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic591.htm

Many more available, as well. Please note... the rabbit is a common vector of this disease, and it *is* transferrable to humans. Also called "Rabbit Fever."

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

10. gefozarks

gefozarks Well-Known Member

salmonella is another disease that could be a problem going form the chickens to the rabbit.

But please keep us informed maybe your new species of chickens will lay eggs with fur which would be nice for these cold winter times. :haha:

11. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

ROFL! Furry eggs??? Love it! And yes, you are absolutely correct about the dangers of salmonella.

BTW... where ya been, Gail? We've missed you in the chats!

Pat Lamar

12. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Gail! Welcome back to the rabbit community!
    It must be COLD in Missouri if you are taking the
    time to stay inside and communicate with us.

:)