Buck sharing??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Meg Z, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I recently spoke with someone else on here who has Nubians, and she also borrowed a buck this year.

it seems to me there's a lot of us who have just a few goats. We need to get our girls bred, and end up borrowing, which is risky. I was wondering how many of us work this way, and if there were any interest in sharing bucks.

I think many of us would be willing to keep a buck, except with only a few does, we can only keep him one or two years before we risk inbreeding. I was considering buying a good young buck each year, using him to breed, and then selling him. I think quite a few folks do this. Not the best life for the buck.

If enough people who are stuck in this rut could get together to do some buck swapping, we may be able to save some buck money, and keep the health of our little flocks a bit safer, since closed flocks are not possible for us.

I'm visualizing a half dozen or more people with same breed, within a few hours drive of each other. All CAE/CL negative does. If we each bought a buck, then rotated bucks, we'd know the buck was proven, healthy, etc.

On the other hand, it would really only work for home milkers, and not anyone trying to improve their breed quality in any way, since the buck traits would probably vary widely. Of course, smart folks could get together on what traits they're looking to improve, and the whole 'ring' could end up becoming like a closed flock....or something.

Okay, I'm insomniac, it's 2 am, and I'm wandering....so give me some thoughts on why I'm gonna regret thinking this when the sun comes up?

Meg :)

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

I don't see any regrets over thinking like this.. thinking is good!! :) :) :)
    I however I live with a man who detests the smell of bucks in rut.. actually, if he know's it's a boy, he'll swear it stinks.. :no: So I borrow from a dear friend.. My DH didn't even want me to do that either and so got me some AI equipment..
    But yea, my friend and I have talked about buck swaping.. you could use your buck for a couple of years, then swap him for a few, then use him again on those unrelated girls.. maybe do a little line breeding, see how your program's doing.. heck, you could keep those guy's for quite a long time!!
    Alas, I'm stuck with a tank (that I have YET to get..lol) :(

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

if only some people would live near my place i would trade bucks. problem is that more and more city people moving here and goat people moved away or gave up :( . so i bought a little buck and will buy another one in spring. use them for some time and then get some new bucks again. if it turns out to be too stinky i have to think about AL. but is it worth it? it cost a lot of money to get started right?
    susanne

4. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

From what I understand, bucks don't generally get 'stinky' untill they're about 3.. the buck I had here was 2, and while he did smell somewhat, I've smelled worse! well not me in particular.. :haha:
    and yea, AI is costly to start up..
    learning to AI via seminar.. ~$100
    Kit................................ $150
    thawing jar-non electric... $40
    Semen tank................... $450
    Semen...... varries from $50or more a straw to 5/50 and then of course on top of that is S/H and return shipping of someone elses 'shipper'..
    These are all 'new' prices and people have found deals, but, like looking for LGD's they are out there, you just have to have the $$ on hand to jump when you get the chance...
    personally, I'd rather have a buck....... :D or two!

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Don't know as I can agree with you on the age of 3 and stinky bucks Stacy
    my little darlings are stinky once they figure it all out. like how to pee on themselves. Once that starts they are stinky. :haha:

6. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, by six or seven months old, most of them are pretty ripe. I had just the yearling buck and the baby boy here this year and this place REEKED <G>

I feel sorry for the folks downwind of us :haha:

Tracy