Buck Questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Well, I've got two horned bucks that live togeather. Most of the year they're wonderful togeather, but lately they've been in rut. Though my younger buck never gets hurt my older one seems to. They play "bump-heads" as my dad calls it. Well, the base to one of the older bucks' horns often gets bloodied up. And today as I was chasing them out of the does' pen (which they broke into tonight,) I noticed that my older buck has a torn ear. The tip seems to be coming off! I bet it was smashed in between thier horns. It's a sizable chunk, too.
    So, I"m wondering if I should give some pennicillin possibly to help him heal, or should I put something on it? I don't have anything but 7% iodine which I probably could dilute if needed.

2. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

You could just leave it...or spray an antiseptic on it....we have something called Tru-blu, anteseptic spray with fly repellent in it...it is prurple like gentian violet.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I think I"m gonna watch it to see what it does on it's own. I wish boys weren't so dumb! LOL