buck not interested in doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dk_40207, Dec 26, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

We've had this Nubian buck for a little while now, and it appeared that all of the girls had been bred(he was mounting)....now it seems that they are slowly starting to come back into heat!! :flame: This is the same buck that was very near death when we rescued him. He was urinating blood, had awful foot rot, and was severely dehydrated. His urine looks normal now, his feet are are on the mend(although still visably painful), and he still seems dehydrated to me, but not nearly as much.

He is NOT spraying himself anymore. At all that we can tell....does this mean that he is "out of rut" ?!?

So another doe is in furious heat today...and he is blowing her off! He did this to another one the other day! I am so upset because there aren't ANY buck FS around us that I can find, and we HAVE to have milk this summer(dd can't do any other milk!). :Bawling:

dk's girl

2. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Gee Christina..... might be that it'll take a little bit for him to come back around. I know a lady who lost a whole breeding season waiting on her guy to recoup (I mean it was only 3 months but she had planned breedings and had postponed for that reason) and fortunately had another guy around. From what I've read and heard UC is a pretty hard blow to their system and might take a bit to recoup. Is there anyone close that has one that you could borrow for a month or so? A friend of mine is selling her nub buck but he's SUPPOSED (you know how that goes) to be spoke for. If that doesn't work do you want me to ask about him? He's an ADGA reg nub buck that throws some nice kids. She's wanting 125 for him and I think that's fair as he does toss nice babies and his girls throw milk to for nubians.
    But really in my opinion your guys just gonna need some time to mend up in there. Kinda like men peeing stones..... I'm sure they can do some damage in there!! HAHA!! But I would suggest hunting for someone close to borrow from. OH! I also know another lady with a nub buck..... don't know what she'd want though. Maybe 75-100. She's down by Paoli. Other than that hun I don't know what to say other than maybe try some buck power minerals and make sure he's had his BO-SE and give him some time. Sorry.....

3. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I've no experience in this area but just common sense-wise wondering if all that he went through affected his fertility as well? Might be a low sperm count and he just needs more time?

4. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we did think that perhaps all of his trauma might have affected him. The odd thing is, though, that when he was really bad....he was still mounting the girls and actinf all bucky. Now that he has been recovering for awhile...he is showing no interest in our does in heat. When she rubs one side of his face, he turns the other way. Weird. Also, when he was very ill, he continued to spray himself...now he isn't. We just think that it is strange, and wondered if he might be out of rut..it's our 1st year w/ a buck...