Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Saanen doe went into heat yesterday and I've "borrowed" my friend's buck for breeding. Granted, it's only been since this afternoon since he's been here, but he doesn't seem very interested.

He'll sniff her behind, follow her around a bit, but doesn't make any attempt to mount her. Is it that she's not really "ready" yet, or is HE out of season?

I think I remember reading that the bucks do have a season or must (or something like that), but I was hoping that I wasn't too late this year.

I bred this same doe at this time last year, but to a different buck. So, another question, how many heat cycles do does have each fall / winter? Will I get another chance if this buck doesn't breed her? I'm pretty sure that this is her third cycle.

·
North Carolina
85 Posts
Yep, the same thing happened to me when I took my Nubian doe to visit her boyfriend. He just stood there in the corner with his head down.. I put her butt right up to his face, and he just put his head down. Left her overnight and he was in the same corner like he never moved. He was an experienced registered buck and she was in full blown heat but he did nothing.. Come to find out, he was kept separate from the other does and therefore was not in "rut". Took her out and put her in a pasture with another buck that had been with does, and he nailed her twice in 5 minutes.. So, yes, they have to be in the "mood" or rut.. Your doe may come in to heat one more time, but depending on where you live, I wouldn't want summer babies if it gets hot where you are..too stressful for the mom to freshen in June.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Does he show a special affinity for singing show tunes or look more concerned about window treatments than he should... ?

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Guys, this is serious.

Look, maybe she needs to buy him dinner first. A guy doesn't want to feel "used." After dinner, a few soft candles, put the doe in her best lingerie. A few glasses of wine, and let nature take it's course.

I really hope he perks up for you. How long does a doe's heat last?

·
le person
6,241 Posts
I have the opposite problem. I have a toggenburg doe that is in raging heat, and a poor nubian buck on the other side of the fence. She is backing up to the fence and actually seems to be getting mad at him, slinging her head towards him and making her gripe noise. I feel quite bad for him. I plan to breed her her next heat.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
If you noticed your doe in heat the day before you brought the buck over, she may not have been in standing heat anymore. She should cycle again in 18-21 days.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed her getting a little pink yesterday, no tail flagging or goo. Today she is flagging, bright pink & just WONT SHUT UP!

And the little bugger (buck) has his head in the manger.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've had this problem frequently. One of my does would flag, bleat and discharge heavily but not generate any interest on the buck's part. I tried to breed her for 4 consecutive heats that year with no success. COme next fall she wasn't even showing sign, and I gave her Lutalyse; next time she came into heat the buck was interested. This year I'm having trouble with a doe with weaker sign who doesn't interest the buck. Lute hasn't helped. I think it's her problem not his because he's breeding his owner's does just fine.

I have also heard that if a buck has been in with too many does he may be worn out and not show interest in a doe in heat. But I haven't found out how many 'too many' might be.

I've had does come into heat in January. I think you still have time.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have goat nooky!!!!!

Not a lot, and not totally sure if it was a "hit" or "miss", but I'm hopeful.

Guess the hot oil massage & incense helped! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts