Buck not doing his job?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoldenWood Farm, Sep 12, 2006.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

The new buck I am borrowing really hasn't shown any signs of getting the job done :shrug: . Maybe my girls are not in full blown heat or maybe I am just missing it :shrug: . But I am a bit worried he isn't breeding them. I have seen NO mounting what so ever really but have found semen on the girls backs.

Same with my 1 1/2 year old buck I am using...he doesn't seem to be getting the job done either. I mean no signs really that he is interested in his girls. Am I just missing it or what :help: ?

I know it is just the starting but I want to make SURE that these gals are getting bred. My gals have never seemed to come into a standing heat that I have noticed or maybe I am not noticing enough? I mean I know both bucks have sired kids with no problems so neither are duds. Is it just because they both are older and more gentlemen like?

MotherClucker

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

the percentage of actual Mountings that MOST Goat breeders actual SEE is quite small compaird to what goes on when your NOT looking, some breeders use the breeding harness so that when the bucks do mount they mark the does and you can see by who is multi colord and whos not,

i would just give it some time and let them do what nature dictates, if the does are comming into heat the buck will breed them as long as he is in good health,

3. GoldenWood Farm

Well I talked to his owner. She said that he is a silent breeder. She told me last year he bred 4 does and the does never even showed signs of coming in heat and he didn't shows signs of breeding them. All 4 kidded out so he just must be shy :rolleyes: :shrug: .

I am so used to bucks chasing after the girls and what not. It is weird to have a buck that is like "what ever" :shrug: .

MotherClucker

4. Farmboy

Farmboy Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with a Oberhasli buckling last year. I was so frustrated with him! He just wasn't interested in breeding. (Boy, was I wrong) Spring came around, and lo and behold, there were Oberhasli kids popping out everwhere. He was a "silent breeder".

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Mine are generally blubbering idiots.

6. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

Last season we seperated our buck each night, and let him run with the girls all day. We noticed the girls coming into heat over and over. As soon as we let him sleep with the girls, they stoped coming into heat.
    Turns out hes a night owl.

7. Bella Star

Bella Star LaMancha & Boer

I dont see any mounting of our first season young buck but I see lots of nasty tails so I can tell he is doing his job. I just write it down when I see them and calculate the days to kid

8. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not experienced with goats, but I've seen people talk about those marking harnesses - wouldn't this be a good time to use one? Then you'll know what he's doing when you aren't around to watch. :)

~ Carol

9. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

My neighbor said that boers like "the cover of night". I don't know but I do hear lots of noise at about 5 a.m. I haven't seen much action during the day. I'm going on faith.

10. GoldenWood Farm

Well I am eating my words...one of my does FINALLY came in heat and boy was he ready and willing :rolleyes: :eek: . Now we shall see if he got her or not. She still is in a roaring heat right now (put her in at about midnight) and this morning she still is being a hussy with him (mounting him and everything :eek: ). Sure hope he got her and she STAYS got :rolleyes: (if that makes sense).

MotherClucker
    ps: Now if only the other gals with Brandy (the doe in heat) would pick up on that.

11. pokyone42

pokyone42 Well-Known Member

Near Bath NY.. dumb name for a town, huh?
    Our 9 month old Boer buck has been quite gentlemanly....we have seen him mount and breed the does, and holler and yell BUT BUT BUT, now and then...(hubby keeps asking, "But WHAT, Turk?" lol....) but our 1/2 boer 6 month old buck kid is a different story! He is sooo dirty, (peeing EVERYWHERE........ on himself and us, too, lol) and now has almost completely lost his voice from screaming.. he jumped a 4 1/2 foot gate (made from 2x4's) the other morning to breed his sisters... ugh.. had chased them around incessantly....we heard the baby girls hollering, so ran up to check...UGH!

(we are trading him for a doe kid in two weeks.. we really did not want him breeding anyone...oh well.. one of his half-sisters was in heat...meat kids, if she got bred.... lol) fingers crossed, she did not get it... she seemed not to go into full blown heat til later in the day, when she was hanging in front of his pen and hollering and wagging...lol..(lil hussie) we are hoping to wait til next heat to breed these 3 girls...oh well.. no big deal.. she is 90 pounds, so should be okay. Breeding season.. WHAT FUN! lol.. (what an awakening for HUBBY! This is his first time with "mature" bucks... and they are still KIDS!) LOL~

we have since screwed in another board above this fellow's gate.., which I consisitently whack my head on.. lol...Up until 2 weeks ago, I thought I would miss this buck kid....not anymore! lol... I will be glad when he moves on down the road!

We also recently acquired (rescued) an 8 month old Alpine buck kid, who is the size of an 8 WEEK old... due to lack of food.. he is doing GREAT, now..
    ....but, on the funny side, since being here, he has gone into a heavy-duty rut, and so yells "WHAT WHAT WHAT!" but sounds like a munchkin on crack! lol.. he is a sweetie tho, and very cute..tho very stinky. lol (weird.. he is SOOO tiny, that he looks like he should be on a bottle! He is gaining some weight tho, not much yet, due to rut, but I think he will be fine.)