Buck NOT acting bucky!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

When on earth is this buck going to act like he's ready to breed something? I'm fed up. Is he retarded or something? LOL Now granted...he did have pinkeye for a couple of weeks and before that was lame with hoof scald. He's doing OK now and is out with the does. However, he isn't the least bit concerned about them. He has a slight smell but nothing like some I've been around!! He isn't doing bucky things. Could this illness he's gone through make his rut be delayed? Anyone ever experienced this before? It is almost Oct. and I think he should be interested in somebody!! Out of about 12 does or more, somebody should be in heat!! Good grief!!

2. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Forgive me..but how do you know he's not breeding? Is he wearing a marking harness or something?

Some bucks just like to night breed. I had one for four years..NEVER saw him mount a doe..had hundreds of kids..but I could hear him at night.

If he's young..he may just be intimidated. The buck I have now was. Then one day he got absolutely furious with the does..chased one down..knocked her over..by the time he got back up to the fence..he smelled to high heaven and every doe on the place fell in line.

I think you need patience with him.

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

I keep my bucks seperate from the does and rely on the does to tell me when they are in season...so on and so on. So if your buck is with them all the time you may not see him breeding the does...for example I have 3 rams with my ewes, I never saw any of them bred and we have 5 lambs so far with at least 5 more to come.

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

How old is he? Does he have 2 testicles decended ? Wormed recently or checked for parasites ? Up to date on shots ? Do you need bo-se in your area? How are his feet now ? Is he in good body condition ? Have you seen the girls in heat ?

Patty

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Pinkeye and hoof scald shouldn't have any effect on your boy's breeding health. If he is say, under seven months, young bucks lose focus very easily. You didn't mention if you noticed your does being in heat. Maybe that's the problem. Have you seen any signs - flagging, vocalization, mounting - in your girls? I would try separating your boy and then exposing him to the does. Maybe they just think of him as one of the gals - ha!

6. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

He was just put in with them for the first time this fall. He is around 2 yrs old and yes, he has two huge testicles. LOL....maybe you are right. Maybe he is night breeding. He just acts really docile and doesn't even act like a buck. I guess there is a chance that none of the does are in season right now. I know for sure that one Nubian came into heat last week but he wouldn't breed her b/c he had ulcerated eyes from pinkeye and couldn't see. Now he is over that. He does have a bit of a problem left behind from the hoof scald where the infection blew out his hoof and produced a proud flesh growth. That growth fell off and now there is a little spot on the bottom of his hoof where there is soft flesh instead of hard hoof material. I don't know if it will ever close off. The spot is only about 1/8-1/4 inch across so it is really small. However, it seems to bother him a bit. It probably doesn't feel to good when he steps on certain things. I'm considering taking him to the vet to get her opinion on it. Other than that, he looks great. He was dewormed a few months ago. He probably could use a CD/T about now. I'll try and get a picture of him on here.

7. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member