Buck needs to relax

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by ajneal30, Feb 6, 2017.

1. ajneal30

ajneal30 Well-Known Member

I raise satin rabbits and I have one buck that is a total nut job. He's got fantastic type and beautiful color, but he's too excited to breed. He's not interested in a doe unless she runs from him. When he catches her, he will bite at her genitals before mounting. When he finally does mount, he's way up on her hips and no where near where he needs to be. Then he gets frustrated and will bite her on the back and not let go. I don't know what to do with him, I've never had a rabbit act like he does.
    It was suggested to put him with a more aggressive doe to see if she would put him in his place. My psycho doe tried to mother him and he never attempted to breed with her. I took him to a friends house and her Flemish doe slapped him and put him in a corner. He never moved and the doe fell asleep. We tried with their nasty mini lop and she bit him in the face and shook him like a dog. We quickly separated them and I took him home. He was scared of getting close to my does at all, so I left him overnight in his own cage to settle. Today he's back to his old ways beating up my does.
    It's been suggested to use lavender essential oil to try and relax him before attempting to breed again. Has anyone tried this with their rabbits?
    I even jokingly mentioned marijuana which led to an honest curiosity and some research. Sounds like a bad idea but I'm still going to research more just because I'm curious now.
    Has anyone had a buck like this? Did you ever get him to settle down? Is he hopeless?

2. JudyM

JudyM Well-Known Member

Looks like no one has any ideas! 39 people have read your post. Maybe more information would help, I dunno. Age? Maybe he'll settle down a little as he gets older. If you raised him, what were his parents like? Any siblings you could compare him to?

3. ajneal30

He's a year old. I bought him from a very reputable breeder. I have never seen his parents or siblings. I bought him at a show where he did quite well. He's also done very well for my kids at fair. I really really want his genetics in my breeding program. I just can't get him to calm down enough to get the job done. It's like he blames the doe for his performance issues, lol

4. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe you can set up some kind of exercise pen for him.
    Do you put him in with the doe or put the doe in with him ?
    You should be putting the doe in with him.
    You will have to watch him very carefully so he does not harm your females.
    If he acts up, take the female back out. Try again. Remove her if need be.
    What he is doing might be hereditary. Many years ago, I used a mean Flemish
    on the sweetest doe I had and the babies turned out mean. I was not happy.

JudyM likes this.
  5. ajneal30

I have to put them in a neutral cage. If I put a doe into his cage, he flat out attacks them without hesitation.
    The exercise pen is something I can totally try. Work out some of his energy before attempting to breed him.

JudyM likes this.
  6. JudyM

JudyM Well-Known Member

So how is he doing? Any luck?

7. ajneal30

I've brought him in a few times and tried some essential oils (I know, I know, I'm being very careful) He had strong opinions on which ones he liked, which ones he hated and when he was done with it all. I've also moved the doe to the cage next to him and I'm going to try the block of wood for her to sit on. As well as the exercise pen once the freaking snow melts!

8. Marinea

Marinea Well-Known Member

I haven't tried this, but there are people who swear by taking the buck and doe for a car ride first.

9. ajneal30

I butchered him last night. He grabbed my most expensive doe by the face and wouldn't let go. I was over his aggressive nature and attitude. I also realized that he only had one testicle. He had just enough testosterone to be frustrated that he couldn't finish.

10. LuckySpotFarm

LuckySpotFarm Active Member

Sorry he ended up being too much of a punk to breed! I have heard people having problems with bucks like this and it usually ends up the same way. Some bucks just aren't able to handle the job :p