Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine located a small herd that is being sold due to the death of the owner. There are a couple of younger bucks that were not castrated. He asked me if young bucks could be butchered for the freezer. I told him that I had been told they would taste fine until one year of age. I haven't ever had goat meat so I'm only going by what I've been told. These bucks are 9-10 months old. The family wants to sell the whole herd- 8 goats together and he only wants one buck. Will the meat be fine for the freezer?

U

·
0 Posts
It is my understanding that those people of Carribean heritage like mature buck meat. Personally I couldnt eat something that smelled so putrid!!!

The best thing to do would be to wait until buck is completely out of rut, wash him thoroughly...give him a day or two...then harvest him. And I would turn him into burger. They are usually sexually mature by 7 months and these bucks at 9-10months wont stink as much as a 2-3yo buck would but still rank. No fella I'd want to snuggle with!

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unregistered said:
It is my understanding that those people of Carribean heritage like mature buck meat. Personally I couldnt eat something that smelled so putrid!!!

The best thing to do would be to wait until buck is completely out of rut, wash him thoroughly...give him a day or two...then harvest him. And I would turn him into burger. They are usually sexually mature by 7 months and these bucks at 9-10months wont stink as much as a 2-3yo buck would but still rank. No fella I'd want to snuggle with!
Well Cuba and Puerto Rico are in the Caribbean but having never eaten goat before, I don't know if I could stomach anything that smelled rank. We butchered a five month old hog for our dogs and barbecued the ribs for us and the meat was just starting to smell a little. Not bad at all but slightly noticeable. If a goat is the same then I'd tell him to forget it unless he can have them castrated by a vet and let them dry out. And there for a minute I thought I'd finally be able to taste goat meat if he bought that herd. :(

U

·
0 Posts
Cabrito is suckling goat. Not sure what they use for adult term. Have you searched the net for additional info.?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
They should be fine to eat. The people can always have them castrated now and wait a few month to butcher them. Some bucks are sexually mature at that age but most are not urinating on themselves yet.
I have know of goat raisers catrating an adult buck and having him butchered and turned into sausage. There is a market for those bucks as meat if they want to go ahead and sell them. The Africans and Arabs like an intact buck for butcher.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts