Buck lost the battle.....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Sorry to have to give bad news but I said that I would keep you all updated. Our buck went down today and couldn't get up. He was in really bad shape....panting hard and fast, running while laying on his side and he has wasted away to almost nothing despite constantly eating while sick. I think we just spent too much time treating for the wrong thing. I know it wasn't Listeriosis. There were a few important missing symptoms and I've seem Listeriosis before. I know it wasn't Polio b/c we caught it early and started with the high doses of Thiamine and many times, one dose will pull them out of it. I have it to him for 6 days. That was overkill....I should have known but I didn't know what else it could be or what to do. I feel that it was either Meningeal worm or a brain defect of some sort. When I researched CAE, it didn't sound like that at all. So, we put our buck down. He was suffering and I knew I couldn't pull him through, after he went down. That was it. It is harder to watch them suffer than to put them down. I knew he felt bad. Poor guy, It is too bad, really. He was a nice buck. We go to pick our new guy up tomorrow. He is 6 months old. Hopefully he'll be able to do the job despite his age. I know it depends on the individual goat. He is really pretty. I'll have to post a pic for you when we get him home!!

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

sorry to hear that. It happens to all of us if we are in the livestock business long enough..... :Bawling:

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I'm sorry - you've been having a bad run of it lately. I hope the new buck works out for you.

4. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

Milk N'Honey--I've said a prayer for you and sent some positive energy your way. YOu are learning so much. I am so sorry for your loss. You've been through a lot. I know this new buck will start a new beginning for you.
    Jennifer