Buck isnt doing the act.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by spam4einstein, May 31, 2006.

1. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

OK, Ive got 6 pygmy does and one buck all housed together. The only time I ever noiced him do the deed was the day we brought him and 4 of the does home. He is with them 24-7. Is it possible they are all expecting? I cant imagine another reason why he would have quit his job?

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

you wont see ALL the dirty work, they breed at night too, and when your not looking, chances are you will have babys from ALL of them before you know it

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

The does have to be in heat and he has to be in rut. If her "did the deed", than he is "in rut". If there are no does in heat, than he will wait til they will alow him to breed them. They cycle every 21 days. Many does only cycle July-January, but some cycle year around. Just watch and wait. be sure to write on the calender when each doe gets bred and count ahead 150 days. That is the approximate due date, plus or minus 5 days.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

A buck doesn't have to be in rutt to breed. Pygmies are known to breed all year long. Most likely all your does are bred. If I were you I would separate him out from the does, so they can kid in safety and also that way you can put the does in with him ONLY when they are in heat, so you know duedates (trust me, alot easier than guessing, lol!)

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

It seems with my bucks, that the younger bucks will breed anytime and the older bucks wait til they are in full rutt. The younger ones don't stink and are active now, while my mature bucks are less interested until they are stinking and blubbering.