Buck gone bad

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by cedargrove, Sep 30, 2005.

1. cedargrove

cedargrove Well-Known Member

Anyone else ever have a buck that seems to stop being productive??? Maybe loose sperm count? If so WHY?? He has been great better than 50 bunny's from three does.

2. BeatrixP

BeatrixP Active Member

They can become sterile due to the heat in the summer months. It may take a couple of months for the sperm count to recuperate. It has been wickedly hot here in AR this summer so I am assuming KS was similar. Is it a young buck and did it just happen this summer? If his health is good otherwise, this may be the problem.

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

All I had in my mind reading this title was a video with rabbits lifting their fur flashing the camera...

buck gone bad, spring break 2005!

4. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

I always thought that when the sperm count went down due to heat that it wouldnt go back up!! At least it didnt on any of the ones that I had that happen to....
    Maybe I culled too soon. But, once a buck stopped producing I never got babies out of him again, only 3 stikes and your out around here...

5. cedargrove

Thanks "ALL" I will try him again latter on then. He has been a great one and isn't even a year old yet. The summer heat hopefully is what happend, he still show all the intrest in doing his thing for sure :dance: and if I end up with XXX raited rabbits I'll let ya all know. :cowboy:

6. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

I have had several bucks that were aged from 6-12 years old that still produced. I have raised and shown rabbits for most of my 40+ years. The good ones (there are lots of them in my show rabbits :) ) get to stay here until they die of old age.

In otherwise healthy and well fed rabbits, the hot weather will make them sterile for about 2 months depending on the breed. Anytime the weather is above 80 degrees for 5 days or more they will be temp. sterile. The Dutch breed seems to bounce back into production faster than the others do. New Zealands and Calif. take a little longer to get back into production.

I am going to get my own bucks started back into the breeding schedule this month. I plan on getting another litter to two from my oldest Dutch buck; he is now 12 years old and still producing well this spring.

I had a San Juan Brown buck that lived to be 17 years old. He was still 'in the saddle' at age 13 (4 litters, averaging 6 kits per litter) and his last litter (two litters of 4 and 5 kits) was produced when he was 15. I retired him after that, but he was still letting me know that he was interested.

7. cedargrove

Thanks for the positive outlook. My NZ buck is the one I started with and produced MANY 10 in a litter. This is why I was so worried about him not produceing again. I could never CULL him anyway. THANKS AGAIN and I shall expect many more large litters from him.

8. cedargrove

THANK YOU ALL Buck has done it again, without your all past experiences he would have gone in the soop pot, OR did he hear me telling him to get with it. ANYWAY the does are pulling hair today. THANKS!!!!!!

9. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Great !! I have high hopes here ,, last breeding on day 18 both my does pulled fur and made a beautiful nest ,,

today is day 18 from the rebreeding and so far no sign of nestbuilding today so maybe they both 'took' this time ,, or if its a miss theres no fake pregnancy involved ,,

I can't papalipate for anything ,, I have to wait the 31 days ,, but useually I'll be suspicious if theres not a bigger belly by late week 3 ,,

I was figuring my cal buck was sterile from the 3 weeks of 90 - 100 degree heat we had in august ,,